[ippm] AD review of draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry-11

Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net> Tue, 27 August 2019 15:46 UTC

From: Mirja Kuehlewind <ietf@kuehlewind.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2019 17:46:35 +0200
Cc: IETF IPPM WG <ippm@ietf.org>, Michelle Cotton <michelle.cotton@iana.org>
To: draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry.all@ietf.org
Subject: [ippm] AD review of draft-ietf-ippm-initial-registry-11

Hi authors, hi all,

We need to discuss at least one bigger question on the intended status before we  can move ahead. However, as you can seen I have more questions/comments below.

The bigger status question first:
The intended status is PS. The shepherd write-up does not provide any additional information about why this status is appropriate. I would assume that informational is actually more appropriate. I don’t recall out of my head if/when this was discussed and I thought I rather ask than searching the list archive and minutes… Is this the right status and why? And if so, please reflect in the write-up!

And then a couple more (hopefully) quicker comments/questions:

- I know this was already reviewed by IANA (Michelle is also cc’ed), however, as far as I can see all Administrative Information (Status, Requestor, Revision, and Revision Date) and maybe even the ID don’t need to be part of the template because IANA will anyway assign them based on the instructions given in draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry. Or did IANA explicitly request to also include these parts?

- Then for the Change Controller that should usually be the IESG rather than the IETF. Did IANA comment on that?

- And one minor point: I guess the secY part of the name could already be filled out, no? However, I should probably have asked that on review of draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry already but I was actually wondering if the decision to include the RFC number and section in the metric name is appropriate. Can you maybe lay out what the reasons for this are (and maybe also explain in the draft as his might come up again during IESG review otherwise)…?

Then then on references again:

- This draft references two obsoleted RFCs (RFC2679 and RFC2680). I assume this is an oversight and the references need to be updated?

- Also given you rely heavily on [Trammell-14], I think this needs to be a normative reference (and maybe [Strowes] as well?). The more stable pointer for [Trammell-14] is actually here:
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-54999-1_2
But to be honest the split between normative and informational isn’t actually very clear to me here…?

And on the shepherd write-up:

It’s indicated that not all authors have replied to the IPR question. This need to be checked and respectively reflected in the shepherd write-up before we can move ahead!

And some smaller technical questions/nits:

- Is it correct that T0 in section 4 is defined in both subsections 4.3.5 and 4.4.2?

- Why is an URI given (only) in section 6.1.3?
  Also section 7.1.3 and 8.1.3.: http:\\www.iana.org\ ... <name> -> I think this should be: http://www.iana.org/<name>/

Some more editorial comments/nits:

- I find it actually unnecessary or rather confusing that most (not all) sections start with a sentence/paragraph explaining what the section is about (e.g. "Additional (Informational) details for this entry”). I would think this is sufficiently explained in draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry and does not need to be repeated here (in this already long document). Also note that section 8.6 inconsistently doesn’t have any content while 10.6. says “None.”.

- Also these comments in section 7 and 8 are probably supposed to be removed:
" <insert name of the output type, raw or a selected summary statistic>” …?

- I found this in section 10.2.2: "@@@@@ others??”. I guess there is something missing? Also in this part, I don’t think SYN and FIN should be set at the same time, no? And rather than providing the Kind and Length of the TSopt, I would recommend to provide a pointer to the respective RFC.

And finally one/two/three more general question(s) at the end, that I probably should also have asked already on my review for draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry:

Is it actually intended that basically all the text in this RFC gets copied into the registry? And what is expected to be on the URL page then? Wouldn’t it be necessary to also define a format for that page in order to be of any use?

Mirja