Re: [ippm] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry-22: (with COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Thu, 12 December 2019 04:56 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 20:56:48 -0800
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry@ietf.org>, "ippm-chairs@ietf.org" <ippm-chairs@ietf.org>, "ietf@wjcerveny.com" <ietf@wjcerveny.com>, "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ippm] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-ippm-metric-registry-22: (with COMMENT)

Hi Al,

Thanks for all the updates.  Just a few more notes inline...

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 04:36:52PM +0000, MORTON, ALFRED C (AL) wrote:
> Hi Benjamin,
> please see replies below,
> Al

I'm not sure that it does ... in common English usage (ignoring any 7594
jargon), one would "send a request to an agent to perform a measurement
task" or "request an action of an agent" or "request that an agent perform
a task" or "task an agent to perform an operation".  While I didn't read
all 50 pages of RFC 7594, some targeted searching fails to find a jargon
usage where "request a task to an agent" has a specific meaning.

> > Section 4.2
> >
> >    different (and incompatible) ways.  Having a registry would allow
> >    both the IETF community and external people to have a single list of
> >
> > nit: I suggest rephrasing "external people" as needlessly divisive;
> > perhaps "other communities"?
> [acm]
> Sounds better to me.
>

> > Section 7
> >
> >    form of registry extension.  The specification defining the new
> >    column(s) MUST give guidelines to populate the new column(s) for
> >    existing entries (in general).
> >
> > Is "MUST (in general)" really still a "MUST"?
> [acm]
> I think so, we're talking about new columns having a similar
> level of detail in their description as the columns in the
> current registry (future version 2.0).

I guess that there's a couple ways one could parse this sentence: "in
general" could apply to the way the columns are populated, or to what the
specification defining the new columns has to do.  I was reading it in the
second variant, and qualifying a MUST like that is fairly dicey with the
current IESG.  But the former parsing is not problematic, and it sounds
like that's what you intended.  Perhaps "MUST give general guidelines for
populating" would avoid the misparse, though it may have problems of its
own.

> > Section 7.1.2
> >
> >          RTDelay (Round Trip Delay)
> >
> >          RTDNS (Response Time Domain Name Service)
> >
> > It's slightly unfortunate that "RT" expands to both "Round Trip" and
> > "Response Time".
> [acm]
> agree, no change though because no ambiguity for the complete element.
>

> >    o  SubTypeMethod: One or more sub-types to further describe the
> >       features of the entry, such as:
> >
> >          ICMP (Internet Control Message Protocol)
> >
> >          IP (Internet Protocol)
> >
> >          DSCPxx (where xx is replaced by a Diffserv code point)
> >
> > I thought Diffserv code point interpretation was a local matter; is it
> > really appropriate in the metric definition?
> [acm]
> Yes, some DSCP values are widely accepted.
>

> > Section 7.3.5
> >
> >    devices.  For example, parameters that include an IPv4 address can be
> >    encoded as a 32 bit integer (i.e. binary base64 encoded value) or ip-
> >    address as defined in [RFC6991].  The actual encoding(s) used must be
> >
> > nit: YANG types are specified distinctly from their possible encodings;
> > indicating an XML or JSON encoded version of the YANG ip-address would
> > be appropriate here.
> [acm]
> Yes, and we go on in the next sentence to say:
> 	The actual encoding(s) used must be explicitly defined for each Run-time parameter.

Whoops, sorry for missing that.

> >    explicitly defined for each Run-time parameter.  IPv6 addresses and
> >    options MUST be accomodated, allowing Registered Metrics to be used
> >    in either address family.
> >
> > nit: is "either" too limiting, here?
> [acm]
> No, especially for active testing, where we generate the test traffic
> in one address family at a time.

I meant, we're implicitly saying that IPv4 and IPv6 are the only address
families that anyone will ever care about.  IANA has quite a few more than
two that are defined...

> > Section 8.2
> >
> >    A change to a Registered Performance Metric SHALL be determined to be
> >    backward-compatible only when:
> >
> > Is it better to give the Experts some leeway to do the right thing
> > rather than locking it down with rigid procedures?
> [acm]
> Ok, removed "only" to allow for the un-foreseen.
>

> > Section 8.3
> >
> >    The use of deprecated Registered Performance Metrics should result in
> >    a log entry or human-readable warning by the respective application.
> >
> > Taken literally this would require any measurement agent to query IANA
> > before performing every measurement, to confirm that the metric being
> > used is not deprecated.  Presumably some less-frequent polling
> > frequencey would still be acceptable!
> [acm]
> Ok what we meant was:
> The *intentional* use of deprecated...