[ippm] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-ippm-multipoint-alt-mark-07: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro Retana via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 11 March 2020 20:58 UTC

From: Alvaro Retana via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ippm-multipoint-alt-mark@ietf.org, ippm-chairs@ietf.org, ippm@ietf.org, Tal Mizrahi <tal.mizrahi.phd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 13:58:49 -0700
Subject: [ippm] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-ippm-multipoint-alt-mark-07: (with COMMENT)

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ippm-multipoint-alt-mark-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-multipoint-alt-mark/

COMMENT:

(1) Some of the terminology in this document can be confusing.  For example, I
can't help but thinking about multicast and replication when reading about a
point-to-multipoint flow.  Digging into the document, the concept is eventually
explained (and the fact that multicast is not supported).  I think that there
would be great benefit in adding a Terminology section to include a short
definition of the flow types and other terms (production network, monitoring
network, etc.).

(2) This document is classified as Experimental.  What is the experiment?

Given that the document describes a methodology and not an interoperable
implementation, should the experiment be, for example, to consider the
applicability of the methodology to different applications?  It can obviously
be something else...but I think it is important to indicate what it is.

FWIW, given that this is an "extension of RFC 8321", I think that Experimental
is the right status.