Re: [ippm] QUIC concerns relating to draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements

Giuseppe Fioccola <giuseppe.fioccola@huawei.com> Thu, 11 May 2023 09:44 UTC

From: Giuseppe Fioccola <giuseppe.fioccola@huawei.com>
To: Christian Huitema <huitema@huitema.net>, Lucas Pardue <lucaspardue.24.7@gmail.com>, Tommy Pauly <tpauly@apple.com>
CC: IETF IPPM WG <ippm@ietf.org>, QUIC WG <quic@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2023 09:44:00 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.45.149.20]
Subject: Re: [ippm] QUIC concerns relating to draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements

Hi Lucas, Tommy, Christian,
Thank you for raising your concerns.
As also mentioned by Tommy, let me clarify that draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements is not defining any standard, or allocating any code points in QUIC.
It is an informational document and it aims to define transport agnostic methodologies that can theoretically be applicable to any transport-layer protocols between collaborative client and server.
We are following the approach of RFC 8321 and RFC 8889, which were elevated to standards track when the methods were considered more mature (i.e. RFC 9341 and RFC 9342).
As noted, different techniques and variants are described in this draft, but this does not mean that all the methods must be implemented in a single protocol.
The assumption is that the possible future standards track documents, which could apply these methods to a specific protocol, will consolidate the design into fewer bits according to the particular application scenario. A first example is in CoAP (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-coap-pm/).
In summary, the QUIC implementation of these methods is out of scope for this draft.
I think your concerns about QUIC are reasonable, but they can be taken into account only for the specific application to QUIC, that would eventually be defined in a separate draft. If there is the consensus in QUIC WG, we are interested to further discuss the implementation in QUIC at the IETF 117.
For what concerns draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements, to avoid misunderstanding, we agreed to revise section 6 without saying explicitly which particular bits can be used in QUIC or TCP. As an alternative, section 6 can simply be removed and we can also reduce the references to QUIC documents in the whole draft.
Please note that we plan to review the draft soon.

Regards,

Giuseppe
(on behalf of the coauthors)