Re: [ippm] IPPM WG Status and Agenda for IETF 95 Buenos Aires

Joachim Fabini <joachim.fabini@tuwien.ac.at> Fri, 11 March 2016 16:14 UTC

To: ippm@ietf.org
From: Joachim Fabini <joachim.fabini@tuwien.ac.at>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 17:14:04 +0100
Subject: Re: [ippm] IPPM WG Status and Agenda for IETF 95 Buenos Aires

Brian, IPPM,

Thumbs up, excellent work and RFC-publishing performance. This brings me
to a somewhat related topic: fixing of legacy shortcomings seems to not
be that thrilling and gains little attention/priority in ippm. The
process of finding new ippm topics may benefit from some
priority-elevation scheme. In particular, we must make sure to advance
work that a) ippm has committed to as part of RFC approval processes
and/or b) approved RFCs depend on.

(co-author hat off) Specifically I'm concerned about the 2330-update for
IPv6 and IP options not even being on the agenda. During the GenArt
review of RFC 7679 and 7680 the IESG asked ippm to fix the missing IPv6
support in RFC2330. When reading
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf-announce/current/msg14489.html it
is my understanding that these two essential RFCs have passed the
standardization process only because ippm proposed/committed to fix the
RFC2330 shortcomings wrt IPv6 in a separate document. This is
draft-morton-ippm-2330-stdform-typep, which has not been adopted as WG
item and not even on the agenda for IETF-95.

It's a fundamental question of the ippm being credible. The same
question about IPv6 support will be asked again by the IESG latest when
the next IPv6-related ippm draft is in their queue. The active-passive
RFC now is in AUTH48 and references
draft-morton-ippm-2330-stdform-typep, PDM-options may be next, so we
have at least two RFCs and two almost-RFCs that reference and badly need
the IPv6 update.

>From my perspective the ippm work can and must prioritize new topics
that are in the attention and focus of ippm participants. Still, the
fixing of such substantial legacy issues like IPv6 should have at least
the same level of priority. Ippm must prioritize and complete the
homework it has committed to while adopting earlier RFCs to stay
credible vs. the IESG. And it is my feeling that this needs to be
reflected somehow by ippm processes and priorities.

Any opinions?

thanks
Joachim