Re: [ippm] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-ippm-stamp-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> Fri, 18 October 2019 20:33 UTC

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 13:33:08 -0700
From: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
To: Greg Mirsky <gregimirsky@gmail.com>
Cc: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-ippm-stamp@ietf.org, Tal Mizrahi <tal.mizrahi.phd@gmail.com>, IPPM Chairs <ippm-chairs@ietf.org>, IETF IPPM WG <ippm@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [ippm] Benjamin Kaduk's Discuss on draft-ietf-ippm-stamp-07: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 04:44:25PM -0700, Greg Mirsky wrote:
> [...]
> > it's probably best to just pick one.
> >
> GIM2>> Changed to "Z field" as in RFC 8186.
>

> > On Wed, Oct 09, 2019 at 08:37:26PM -0700, Greg Mirsky wrote:
> > > Hi Benjamin,
> > > thank you for your thorough review and detailed comments. Please find
> > > answers, notes, and the proposed updates below in-line tagged GIM>>.
> > > I much appreciate your feedback, suggestions to address your concerns.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Greg

> > https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html

> > padding

> > in
> > > Section 4.2 refers to the STAMP Optional Extensions
> > > <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-stamp-option-tlv/>
> > draft:
> > >    STAMP supports symmetrical test packets.  The base STAMP Session-
> > >    Sender packet has a minimum size of 44 octets in unauthenticated
> > >    mode, see Figure 2, and 112 octets in the authenticated mode, see
> > >    Figure 4.  The variable length of a test packet in STAMP is supported
> > >    by using Extra Padding TLV defined in
> > >    [I-D.ietf-ippm-stamp-option-tlv].
> > > As discussed in Section 4.6 Interoperability with TWAMP Light, TWAMP
> > Light
> > > Session-Reflector will treat STAMP optional extensions as Padding and, if
> > > configured to symmetrical packet size mode, will respond with Padding as
> > > per RFC 6038. This draft defines the use of only base STAMP packets and
> > the
> > > discussion of all extensions is in the draft-ietf-ippm-stamp-option-tlv.
> >
> > I understand that this document only defines base STAMP packets, but it
> > also needs to cover the "protocol invariants" for STAMP, even when both
> > endpoints are STAMP and no TWAMP-Light is involved.  So, adding the
> > sentence about variable length being supported by the padding TLV is good,
> > but I still think we should have some discussion about, e.g., what a
> > receiver should do when it receives a packet larger than the base size
> > which does not parse properly as having trailing TLV(s), and what bytes are
> > used to fill a reflected packet when it is larger than the base test
> > packet.  I'm also still unclear on whether we always require the reflected
> > packet to be the same size as the test packet -- Section 4 has a brief not
> > that "[b]y default, STAMP uses symmetrical packets" but I did not find any
> > discussion of when or how it would work otherwise.
> >
> GIM2>> I see your point and agree that that needs clarification in the
> spec. I think that Section 4.3 Session-Reflector Behavior and Packet Format
> is the right place. Below is the updated paragraph:
>    The Session-Reflector receives the STAMP test packet and verifies it.
>    If the base STAMP test packet validated, the Session-Reflector, that
>    supports this specification, prepares and transmits the reflected
>    test packet symmetric to the packet received from the Session-Sender
>    copying the content beyond the size of the base STAMP packet (see

That sounds good; thanks!

> > > agreed that in this specification only the use of HMAC-SHA-256 is
> > defined.
> > > Future specifications may define the use of other, more advanced
> > > cryptographic algorithms, possibly providing an update to the STAMP YANG
> > > data model <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-stamp-yang/
> > >.
> >
> > That's a reasonable approach for agility; I'd suggest adding a note to the
> > document to indicate that this is the plan.
> >
> GIM2>> Would add the last sentence to Section 4.4 Integrity Protection in
> STAMP:
>    Future specifications may define the use of other, more advanced
>    cryptographic algorithms, possibly providing an update to the STAMP
>    YANG data model [I-D.ietf-ippm-stamp-yang].

Sounds good.

> > from

> > > Integrity Protection in STAMP that:
> > >    HMAC uses its own key, and the definition of the
> > >    mechanism to distribute the HMAC key is outside the scope of this
> > >    specification.  One example is to use an orchestrator to configure
> > >    HMAC key based on STAMP YANG data model [I-D.ietf-ippm-stamp-yang].
> >
> > Hmm, I'm not sure I was a part of the discussion in question, since this
> > text looks unchanged from what I balloted on for the -07.  I'd suggest to
> > clarify further "HMAC uses its own key" with respect to the scope of the
> > key -- is it a unique key per test session?
> >
> GIM2>> HMAC key may be unique for each STAMP test session. Update to the
> sentence:
> OLD TEXT:
>   HMAC uses its own key, and the definition of the
>   mechanism to distribute the HMAC key is outside the scope of this
>   specification
> NEW TEXT:
>    HMAC uses its own key that may be unique for
>    each STAMP test session; key management and the mechanisms to
>    distribute the HMAC key is outside the scope of this specification.

Okay.

> > I see in the editor's copy that this is clarified to have the HMAC cover
> > the first 96 bytes; okay.

> > > One-Way Active Measurement Protocol. One flag (S) indicates whether the
> > > originator of the timestamp has clock synchronized to UTC (GPS, NTP or
> > > PTP). Other fields can be used to express the error estimate of the
> > > timestamping process.
> >
> > I looked at the linked section of RFC 4656 in my initial review, and was
> > only able to find the interpretation of the 'scale' and 'multiplier' fields
> > to form a combined "error estimate" in seconds (with sub-second precision).
> > What I didn't find was a discussion of its abstract semantics -- what is
> > the reference value and the measured value whose error is being estimated
> > with respect to the reference?  A timestamp of some form, given the units
> > (seconds), but which one?
> >
> GIM2>> In my experience with OWAMP/TWAMP implementations, the value
> produced by the Error Estimate (Scale and Multiplier) was hard-coded and
> not reflective of how a timestamp obtained. That was the reason we've
> introduced the Timestamp Information TLV in draft-ietf-ippm-stamp-option-tlv
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-stamp-option-tlv/>.

That's kind of unfortunate (hard-coding), but the text here does make more
sense with that context!  I'll let this one go.

> [...]
> >
> > Yes, that language addresses my concerns.

> > will

> > behavior

> > Ah, that makes much more sense now :)

> > >    Recent work on IP Edge to Customer Equipment using TWAMP Light from
> > >    Broadband Forum [BBF.TR-390] demonstrated that interoperability among
> > >    implementations of TWAMP Light is challenged because the composition
> > >    and operation of TWAMP Light were not sufficiently specified in
> > >    [RFC5357].

> > from

> > >    According to [RFC8545], TWAMP Light includes sub-set of
> > >    TWAMP-Test functions to provide comprehensive solution requires
> > >    support by other applications that provide, for example, control and
> > >    security.

> > Protocol

> > and

> > >    This document defines an active performance measurement test
> > >    protocol, Simple Two-way Active Measurement Protocol (STAMP), that
> > >    enables measurement of both one-way and round-trip performance
> > >    metrics like delay, delay variation, and packet loss.  Some TWAMP
> > >    extensions, e.g., [RFC7750] are supported by the extensions to STAMP
> > >    base specification in [I-D.ietf-ippm-stamp-option-tlv].

> > > unauthenticated mode - Reserved. Would that be acceptable?
> >
> > That's probably fine.  I still wish we could do something to alleviate the
> > dissonance between "ignored on receipt" and (presumably) needing to use the
> > fields as input to HMAC validation.
> >
> GIM2>> This specification follows the language used in RFC 4656 OWAMP and
> RFC 5357 TWAMP to describe the authenticated mode for test components of
> the respective protocols. I agree, in the authenticated mode MBZ is not
> "ignored on receipt". I propose a note in the description of MBZ fields in
> the authenticated mode. Below is the updated text of the Session-Sender's
> format:
>    The field definitions are the same as the unauthenticated mode,
>    listed in Section 4.2.1.  Also, Must-Be-Zero (MBZ) fields are used to
>    to make the packet length a multiple of 16 octets.  The value of the
>    field MUST be zeroed on transmission and MUST be ignored on receipt.
>    Note, that the MBZ field is used to calculate a key-hashed message
>    authentication code (HMAC) ([RFC2104]) hash.  Also, the packet
>    includes HMAC hash at the end of the PDU.  The detailed use of the
>    HMAC field is described in Section 4.4.
> And the updated text for the Session-Reflector's packet:
>    The field definitions are the same as the unauthenticated mode,
>    listed in Section 4.3.1.  Additionally, the MBZ field is used to to
>    make the packet length a multiple of 16 octets.  The value of the
>    field MAY be zeroed on transmission and MUST be ignored on receipt.
>    Note, that the MBZ field is used to calculate HMAC hash value.  Also,
>    STAMP Session-Reflector test packet format in authenticated mode
>    includes HMAC ([RFC2104]) hash at the end of the PDU.  The detailed
>    use of the HMAC field is in Section 4.4.

I don't have any better alternatives, so thanks for this.

> > services)

> > from

> > >    The configuration and management of the STAMP Session-
> > >    Sender, Session-Reflector, and management of the STAMP sessions are
> > >    outside the scope of this document and can be achieved through
> > >    various means.  A few examples are:  Command Line Interface,
> > >    telecommunication services' OSS/BSS systems, SNMP, and Netconf/YANG-
> > >    based SDN controllers.
> >
> > Looks great!

> > use

> > > destination port:
> > >    A STAMP implementation of Session-Sender MUST be able to use as the
> > >    destination UDP port numbers from User, a.k.a.  Registered, Ports and
> > >    Dynamic, a.k.a.  Private or Ephemeral, Ports ranges defined in
> > >    [RFC6335].

> > Session-Sender

> > (That
> > requirement

> > > NEW TEXT:
> > >    A STAMP Session-Reflector supports symmetrical size of test packets
> > >    [RFC6038] as the default behavior.  Because of that, the base STAMP
> > >    Session-Sender packet has a minimum size of 44 octets in
> > >    unauthenticated mode, see Figure 2, and 112 octets in the
> > >    authenticated mode, see Figure 4.  The variable length of a test
> > >    packet in STAMP is supported by using Extra Padding TLV defined in
> > >    [I-D.ietf-ippm-stamp-option-tlv].
> >
> > Sorry for being dense, but I'm still not seeing the logical chain of
> > deductions that makes "because" applicable.  It seems like the minimum size
> > of a base packet is a decision that can be made independently of whether to
> > use symmetrical test packets (and, furthermore, just because something is a
> > default behavior does not mean that it can be used to justify any
> > authoritative statements about the whole system absent some discussion of
> > permitted deviations from the default).
> >
> GIM2>> Here's an update to that text:
> NEW TEXT:
>    A STAMP Session-Reflector supports the symmetrical size of test
>    packets [RFC6038] as the default behavior.  A reflected test packet
>    includes more information and thus is larger.  Because of that, the
>    base STAMP Session-Sender packet is padded to match the size of a
>    reflected STAMP test packet.  Hence, the base STAMP Session-Sender
>    packet has a minimum size of 44 octets in unauthenticated mode, see
>    Figure 2, and 112 octets in the authenticated mode, see Figure 4.
>    The variable length of a test packet in STAMP is supported by using
>    Extra Padding TLV defined in [I-D.ietf-ippm-stamp-option-tlv].

Thank you!  I understand what is going on here, now.

> [...]
> > expected to be unique across sessions.
> >
> GIM2>> I've updated this text to state that the key may be unique per test
> session (see above).

> > It looks like this didn't make it into the -08?  Ah, because the editor's
> > copy was attached and hasn't been pushed to the datatracker yet.

> > Light
> > TWAMP

> > implementations,
> > might

> > > other review comments. Now the draft states in Section 4.2.1:
> > >       The STAMP Session-Sender and Session-Reflector MUST use the NTP 64
> > >       bit format of a timestamp (Z field value of 0).  as the default.
> > > And, as I've mentioned in response to the question above, the draft
> > > clarifies for PTPv2 format:
> > >       A configuration/management function MAY configure STAMP Session-
> > >       Sender and Session-Reflector to using the PTPv2 truncated format
> > >       of a timestamp (Z field value of 1).
> > > I hope it is not seen as duplication and the message is consistent.
> >
> > Going from -07 to -08 reduced duplication and improved clarity, so I'm not
> > too worried about this aspect.

> > Padding

> > > "know" something, we imly that that is known to an operator, the one who
> > > configures, manages the test session. If both entities support STAMP,
> > then
> > > the test session may be instantiated using Netconf/YANG and use PTPv2
> > > format. If only one entity is STAMP-based, then operator may assume that
> > > the remote node only supprots STAMP and set its system to use NTP format.
> > > Do you see that reasonable?
> >
> > That's a perfectly reasonable approach to session configuration/management;
> > my only concern is that the document's text gives a clear and accurate
> > description thereof.  So perhaps it's better to reword the text(s) about
> > Session-{Sender,Reflector} being aware of things with a view to the
> > operator's knowledge as manifested in configuration rather than purely
> > local knowledge.
> >
> GIM2>> Thank you for your clarification. Below is the update to Section
> 4.2.1:
> OLD TEXT:
>       The STAMP Session-Sender and Session-Reflector MAY use, not use,
>       or set value of the Z field in accordance with the timestamp
>       format in use.  This optional field is to enhance operations, but
>       local configuration or defaults could be used in its place.
> NEW TEXT:
>       The STAMP Session-Sender and Session-Reflector MUST use the NTP 64
>       bits format of a timestamp (Z field value of 0), as the default.
>       An operator, using configuration/management function, MAY
>       configure STAMP Session-Sender and Session-Reflector to using the
>       PTPv2 truncated format of a timestamp (Z field value of 1).  Note,
>       that an implementation of a Session-Sender that supports this
>       specification MAY be configured to use PTPv2 format of a timestamp
>       even though the Session-Reflector is configured to use NTP format.

That works for me, thanks.  I think some of my IESG colleagues dislike
constructions of the form "MUST [...] except for $condition", though, so
perhaps "The default behavior of the STAMP Session-Sender and
Session-Reflector is to use the NTP 64-bit timestamp format (Z field value
of 0)" is safer.

-Ben