Re: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-capacity-metric-method-00.txt

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com> Sat, 29 February 2020 19:09 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com>
To: "Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de" <Ruediger.Geib@telekom.de>, "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 19:09:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [69.141.203.172]
Subject: Re: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-capacity-metric-method-00.txt

Hi Rüdiger,

Thanks for your ideas on additional sources of random loss
that we might encounter during Maximum IP-Layer Capacity testing.

We can add some of your considerations directly into the draft.
In general, the recommendation is to use test endpoints as close to the
measured link as possible (but this is not always possible).

*In the last 2 weeks*, discussions of our Hackathon testing (and follow-up
testing, to be shared at IETF-107) have occurred during the meetings
of two other SDOs seeking Harmonized metrics and methods with IETF:
ETSI Technical Committee STQ MOBILE and ITU-T Study Group 12 (Q17).
Selected points follow:

More on conditions encountered in testing:

Some transmission technologies have multiple methods of operation that
may be activated when channel conditions degrade or improve, and these
transmission methods may determine the Maximum IP-Layer Capacity.
Examples include line-of-sight microwave modulator constellations,
or cellular modem technologies where the changes may be initiated
by a user moving from one coverage area to another. Operation in the
different transmission methods may be observed over time, but the modes
of Maximum IP-Layer Capacity will not be activated deterministically
as with the "turbo mode" described as previously described in Section 6.6.

There is also new interest to apply the Maximum IP-Layer Capacity method
during cellular drive testing. This will surely produce forms of
measurement path variation not yet seen, but the problems seen so far
have all been grappled-with successfully. We will be developing
a test plan with interested parties.

Reporting Formats:

Finally, the authors have also discussed measurement reporting and
results interpretation at the ETSI and SG12 Q17 meetings. We have listed
items to provide context to Singleton Capacity measurements:

- timestamp (especially the time when the maximum was observed in dtn)
- source and destination (by IP or other meaningful ID)
- (inner) parameters of the test case (Section 4)
- outer parameters, such as "done in motion" or other factors belonging
  to the context of the measurement
- result (to take care of cases where the process was somehow interrupted
  or the attempt failed)
- a field where unusual circumstances could be documented, and another
  one for "ignore/mask out" purposes in further processing

Thoughts on these and other aspects of reporting formats are welcome.

Thanks for your consideration of these topics, we will update the
draft again shortly.

Al
(for the co-authors)