[ippm] Jim Guichard's Discuss on draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements-03: (with DISCUSS)

Jim Guichard via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 01 May 2023 14:20 UTC

From: Jim Guichard via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements@ietf.org, ippm-chairs@ietf.org, ippm@ietf.org, marcus.ihlar@ericsson.com, marcus.ihlar@ericsson.com
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 07:20:03 -0700
Subject: [ippm] Jim Guichard's Discuss on draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements-03: (with DISCUSS)

Jim Guichard has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements-03: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-explicit-flow-measurements/

DISCUSS:

I am wondering why this is an informational document when it uses reserved bits
from both QUIC and TCP headers (?). If those reserved bits are used by the
mechanisms described in this document but there is no "official" allocation of
the bits then future documents that wish to use these bits will be limited
and/or clash with an Informational RFC. Adding a DISCUSS as although this is
not a technical area of expertise for me, it seems unusual and I would like to
better understand the document track selection.

I also do not see a transport area directorate review and in fact the document
shepherd highlights that the document could benefit from such a review. Given
that the bits introduced in the document are suggested to be carried in the
QUIC and TCP headers using their reserved bits, then a review by the area
responsible for those transport protocols seems mandatory.