Re: [ippm] IPPM Metric Registry Concept of Roles

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com> Wed, 30 January 2019 14:22 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acm@research.att.com>
To: Heitor Ganzeli <heitor@nic.br>, "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2019 14:20:25 +0000
x-originating-ip: [69.141.203.172]
Subject: Re: [ippm] IPPM Metric Registry Concept of Roles

Hi Heitor,

Thanks for your e-mail and your careful read of the
Registry draft.  It’s good to hear that you are
developing an LMAP-based system.

I think you’ve discovered a case where we failed to
keep the Role description and the current thinking
in-sync. I certainly never meant for 2 roles to
result in two separate registry entries, but that’s
what the description says in -17.

When reading this paragraph, I saw many places where
I think we can clarify the text. I propose the following
revised section which follows our shared understanding.

thanks again, and regards,
Al

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

7.3.6  Role

In some methods of measurement, there may be several roles defined,
e.g., for a one-way packet delay active measurement there is one
measurement agent that generates the packets and another agent that
receives the packets. This column contains the name of the role(s)
for this particular entry. In the one-way delay example above,
there should be two entries in the Role registry column, one for
each Role. When a measurement agent is instructed to perform the
"Source" Role for one-way delay metric, the agent knows that it
is required to generate packets. The values for this field are
defined in the reference method of measurement (and this frequently
results in abbreviated role names such as "Src").

When the Role column of a registry entry defines more than one Role,
then the Role SHALL be treated as a Run-time Parameter and supplied
for execution.