Re: [ippm] Document Action: 'Test Plan and Results for Advancing RFC 2680 on the Standards Track' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-ippm-testplan-rfc2680-05.txt)

"MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com> Mon, 12 May 2014 19:49 UTC

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <acmorton@att.com>
To: Nalini Elkins <nalini.elkins@insidethestack.com>, "ippm@ietf.org" <ippm@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 15:49:10 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [ippm] Document Action: 'Test Plan and Results for Advancing RFC 2680 on the Standards Track' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-ippm-testplan-rfc2680-05.txt)

Hi Nalini,

You raise an important point in question 1.
The original authors of 2679 (delay, or 2680 for loss) did not include
the constant waiting time threshold as an input parameter
(and so they didn't spend much time describing it).
However, it is included explicitly
(as parameter Tmax) in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6049#section-3.1.1
and discussed in more detail in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6703#section-4.1
Also, ITU-T Rec Y.1540 for IP metrics uses the parameter Tmax as
part of their loss & delay definitions, and we have a long-standing goal
to move IPPM and ITU-T definitions closer together when possible
(rather than highlight the differences and leave them alone).

In short, I think it would be a very reasonable clarification (for both "bis" drafts)
to make this constant waiting time parameter more explicit now - excellent catch!

on 2, wire time error, there would continue to be some
small time difference between external appearance of a packet
and the interface hardware time stamp, although very much less
difference than TS up in the stack. So it's a smaller error
but I think the discussion still holds.

thanks for your time and careful reading!
Al