Re: I-D ACTION:draft-savola-ipr-lastcall-04.txt (fwd)

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Sat, 23 October 2004 16:12 UTC

Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 12:09:01 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc: newtrk@lists.uoregon.edu, ipr-wg@ietf.org
Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-savola-ipr-lastcall-04.txt (fwd)
Sender: ipr-wg-bounces@ietf.org

Pekka,

I'm copying newtrk on this because the last substantive sentence
of your abstract implies a profound change to the standards
process.  In particular, as I read it, for existing documents,
it implies a review process that is far more burdensome than
that contemplated for "cruft" -- someone needs to go through the
RFC file, identify "IETF documents" separately from individual
submissions, and then subject every document of the former
category to a new Last Call and IESG reevaluation process if
there is the slightest hint of a  IPR claim.  I think that would
place virtually all of our basic protocols back on the table, as
well as causing complete IESG paralysis as we abruptly added
hundreds of documents to the Last Call and processing queues.

This, or some small variation on it, actually impresses me as a
great idea going forward.  However, I suggest that you need to
either drop the notion of applying the procedure to documents
already approved or that you reissue the I-D with some specifics
about how older documents might be identified and reviewed
without bringing the entire IETF to a screeching halt.

     john

--On Saturday, 23 October, 2004 07:59 +0300 Pekka Savola