RE: RFC3979bis section 7 -- hierarchy of preference for licensing

"Turner, Kimberly A" <kimberly.a.turner@intel.com> Thu, 15 August 2013 18:30 UTC

From: "Turner, Kimberly A" <kimberly.a.turner@intel.com>
To: "David Rudin (LCA)" <David.Rudin@microsoft.com>, Stephan Wenger <stewe@stewe.org>, "ipr-wg@ietf.org" <ipr-wg@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: RFC3979bis section 7 -- hierarchy of preference for licensing
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 18:30:19 +0000
x-dm-mail-id: 249B0941-F4F6-4922-B37C-1CB49F7A00B7
x-originating-ip: [10.22.254.139]

I also agree with David on the issues are the use of the statement "[w]ith respect to technologies with IPR claim(s) against them, the IETF prefers open-source-friendly non-assert terms over reasonable and non-discriminatory royalty-free terms (RAND-Z)".  I don't agree that this is clear enough to even understand what is truly meant and, as David points out, leaves open the opportunity for many questions and interpretations.  I also agree that having this hierarchy will lead to quite a bit of difficulty within the work groups because we have no idea how or when or who will decide when to invoke the hierarchy.  Also, it will make it difficult for the IETF to liaise with or submit specs to organizations like the W3C and other international bodies who rely on RAND terms as the non assert can cause confusion in various jurisdictions.

Kim Turner