RE: FW: [Ips] Recent comments about FCoE and iSCSI

"John Hufferd" <jhufferd@Brocade.COM> Thu, 26 April 2007 00:42 UTC

Subject: RE: FW: [Ips] Recent comments about FCoE and iSCSI
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 17:42:20 -0700
From: John Hufferd <jhufferd@Brocade.COM>
To: Eddy Quicksall <Quicksall_iSCSI@Bellsouth.net>, Julian Satran <Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com>
Cc: ips@ietf.org

Eddy,

The pause that is being analyzed as part of a Data Center Ethernet is
NOT the total stuff that is being handled.  The proposal that is being
worked on is called PPP (Per Priority Pause - which probably should be
called Per Class Pause).  The purpose of this is to use it as a flow
control alternative to a credit based approach which seems to be "not
going to happen" in the 802.1 committee.  This is a pause by class or
priority instead of the current Pause that effects every thing on the
link.  However, this is only a part of the total solution.  Another
committee is working on the Congestion issues, however, a number of
vendors, after looking at all the issues believe that we need more than
just the various congestion management approaches that are being
examined.  Therefore, many vendor think that adding a flow control such
as PPP can be part of the total solution to providing management of
congestion, at least for some of the higher priorities (classes).

That being said let me say, that FCoE is not to be considered a
replacement for iSCSI.  It is just another tool for providing storage to
the application.  One approach does not fit all needs.  Fibre Channel is
important to the Enterprise Market.  They are not going to rip out and
replace their current FC infrastructure and replace it with an all iSCSI
or all FCoE network.  So FC is going to be with us.  I do not understand
why folks are going so hyper over the FC frames being transported on a
special Data Center Ethernet link instead of a FC physical Link.  It is
still FC, and we have that today.

Many servers are asking for an evolutionary way to combine their
Networking connections from the Server.  The customers I have dealt with
do NOT want to rip out FC, they want to provide a single Link for
transport of all networking needs, including storage, exiting their
servers.  One needs to understand: this is still FC. But now the needs
of a single connection type can be phased in one Host system at a time,
and at some other time even the storage can be connected via FCoE.
However, there does not seem to be a compelling argument for the use of
FCoE to storage, at least not as compelling as the Server side.  But
some vendors will probably offer an FCoE connected storage controller.
This however, has little need for link consolidation, and FC will
continue to operate very well and I expect that even is FCoE is accepted
at the server side, most storage controller will remain FC.

iSCSI still has an important place in the enterprise, but one approach
(FC, iSCSI, or FCoE) does not fit all.

.

.

.

John L Hufferd

Sr. Executive Director of Technology

jhufferd@brocade.com <mailto:jhufferd@brocade.com>

Office Phone: (408) 333-5244; eFAX: (408) 904-4688

Alt Office Phone: (408) 997-6136; Cell: (408) 627-9606