Re: [IPsec] Question about RFC 5114

"Kaz Kobara" <k-kobara@aist.go.jp> Fri, 26 March 2010 22:26 UTC

From: Kaz Kobara <k-kobara@aist.go.jp>
To: latten@austin.ibm.com, mlepinski@bbn.com, kent@bbn.com
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 07:25:41 +0900
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org, avagarwa@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Question about RFC 5114

Hi Joy

When one uses a subgroup like defined in RFC 5114, q (and (p-1)/2q ) must be chosen carefully.

Precisely:
1. q must be a prime number of 2k or more bits where k is a security parameter.
2. q must be a divisor of ((p - 1) / 2).
3. Every factors of (p - 1) / (2q) must also be primes comparable to or greater than q in size.

p corresponding such q is called a "secure prime."

X is simply to shift the range of 0 to q-2 to 1 to q-1 to exclude 0 (since g^0 mod p = 1).

Kaz