Re: [IPsec] Draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipv6-ipv4-codes

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Tue, 30 April 2019 06:17 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Paul Wouters <paul@nohats.ca>, Valery Smyslov <smyslov.ietf@gmail.com>
CC: "ipsec@ietf.org" <ipsec@ietf.org>, Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2019 06:17:51 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.114.13.247]
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Draft-ietf-ipsecme-ipv6-ipv4-codes

Hi Paul,

The responder does not know if the initiator is dual-stack or not. For example, an initiator can be instructed by policy to make use of separate requests.

The returned notification code(s) will drive the subsequent of the initiator: ask for an additional AF, for example.

Blindly returning the notification simplifies the behavior at the responder and optimizes the load on the server in some cases (e.g., IPv6-only responder receiving a subsequent request for IPv4).

Cheers,
Med