Re: [IPsec] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC7296 (5247)

Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi> Fri, 02 February 2018 16:40 UTC

Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2018 18:40:18 +0200
From: Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi>
To: Yoav Nir <ynir.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: RFC Errata System <rfc-editor@rfc-editor.org>, charliekaufman@outlook.com, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, nir.ietf@gmail.com, pe@iki.fi, Kathleen.Moriarty.ietf@gmail.com, ekr@rtfm.com, david.waltermire@nist.gov, ipsec@ietf.org, andrew.cagney@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [IPsec] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC7296 (5247)

Yoav Nir writes:
> I don’t see anything wrong with the suggestion (it’s just adding “to indicate NONE” in the last
> sentence). However:

I think it is pointless change, and there is no need to give name for
the number we use when we do not have protocol identifier, when it is
used in exactly one place.

All the text about the IKEv2 Security Protocol Identifiers is wrong.
There is no reference to the IANA registry in the Protocol ID fields
in the Notify or Delete payloads. Only section 3.3.1 Proposal
Substructure refers to the that IANA registry.

The sections 3.10 Notify Payload and 3.11 Delete Payload enumerate all
possible numbers for Protocol IDs in place, and those registries do
not have IANA registry associated with them.

Note, that we had discussion about the Protocol ID field of the Notify
payload during the RFC5996 update. I.e. the RFC4306 said that the
protocol ID for notifications concerning IKE SA was set to 1, and zero
was used if the notification didn't concern any SA. It also had text
saying rest of the values are left for IANA to allocate. In the
RFC5996 update, text about IANA was removed, as was the text about
notifications concerning IKE SA, i.e., the only valid values (0, 2, 3)
were enumerated in place. I.e., it is not the same IANA registry that
is used for the Propsal substructure anymore.

Section 7.8 of the RFC4718 explains some of the resons behind the
change.

>   * A value marked “Reserved” in IANA just means that IANA should not assign it. It does not mean
>     that it cannot appear in the protocol.
>   * Using a zero in a field to indicate no value is common, and IANA registries are inconsistent
>     about whether such zero values are named or just reserved.
>   * Unless we want to change the IANA registry, there is no reason to uppercase ‘none’
>   * I don’t think we need to update the IANA registry.

As this IANA registry is not used here, there is no need to change it.
If we ever want to add new protocol ID to Notify or Delete payloads,
we most likely need to crete new IANA registry for them.

> “Hold for document update”?

I think "rejected" would be better.