[IPsec] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate-09: (with COMMENT)

John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Thu, 03 March 2022 00:52 UTC

From: John Scudder via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate@ietf.org, ipsecme-chairs@ietf.org, ipsec@ietf.org, ynir.ietf@gmail.com, ynir.ietf@gmail.com
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2022 16:52:47 -0800
Subject: [IPsec] John Scudder's No Objection on draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate-09: (with COMMENT)

John Scudder has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate-09: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-intermediate/

COMMENT:

Thanks for this. I have just a couple minor questions/suggestions.

1. Section 3.2, “these exchanges MUST follow each other”. I suppose what is
meant is, “these exchanges MUST be sequential” (this hardly seems to need to be
mandated, but OK). Or is something else intended, in which case, what is it?

2. In Section 3.4, there is:

   not all error notifications may ever appear in the IKE_INTERMEDIATE
   exchange (for example, errors concerning authentication are generally
   only applicable to the IKE_AUTH exchange).

I can’t make sense of what the word “ever” is doing there. It makes sense to me
if I remove “ever” to make it “not all error notifications may appear”. It’s OK
if I change “ever” to “even”. But I don’t get it, as written. Am I missing
something, or would one of my edits be appropriate?