Re: [IPsec] Comments on proposed draft-ietf-ipsecme-ad-vpn-problem-02

Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net> Thu, 13 December 2012 22:00 UTC

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:00:16 -0500
From: Lou Berger <lberger@labn.net>
To: Vishwas Manral <vishwas.ietf@gmail.com>
Cc: "vishwas.manral@hp.com" <vishwas.manral@hp.com>, ipsec@ietf.org, Stephen Hanna <shanna@juniper.net>, Brian Weis <bew@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Comments on proposed draft-ietf-ipsecme-ad-vpn-problem-02

Vishwas / Brian,
	See below

On 12/13/2012 12:54 PM, Vishwas Manral wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> Thanks a lot for your comments and sorry I did not reply immediately. I
> have still been waiting for the version 2 to upload. I have sent it to
> the internet-drafts@ietf.org <mailto:internet-drafts@ietf.org> address.
>
> My comments are inline and will be updated in version 03. We could do it
> in version 02 too if it does not get posted soon enough. The only issue
> I have is with the L3VPN comment and would want Lou Berger's opinion on
> it, as he thought the text would add value there (though if you see
> previous comments I am more of the opinion similar to yours).
>
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 12:30 PM, Brian Weis <bew@cisco.com
> <mailto:bew@cisco.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Steve & Vishwas,
>
>     Here are a couple of comments on the proposed -02 sent a few days ago.

>     Requirement 14 says "The ADVPN solution MUST support Provider Edge
>     (PE) based VPN's". This requirement seems unfair to the end point
>     use cases in 2.1 and 2.3, or even gateway-to-gateway ADVPN solutions
>     that have nothing to do with L3VPNs!

Agreed, but the requirement is on the solution, not on a particular
implementation.

> I think you're trying to say it
>     must be possible to build an ADVPN solution that meets the
>     requirements of L3VPN, which I have no problem

Yes, this was my basic point.

> with but I don't
>     think think this it's a fair requirement to put in Section 4.

I agree, it's not fair to have this as a specific implementation
requirement, but I think it's fair that this case must be supported by
the overall solution -- which is simply the previous point.

> Is
>     there anything beyond the new text you added in 2.2 regarding L3VPN
>     that needs to be said?
>
> VM> No I did not add any extra text for L3VPN besides this one. The idea
> was that if IPsec over GRE as PE to PE communication tunnels the ADVPN
> technology should not preclude such a solution.Like I have said earlier
> I do not have strong opinion regarding this requirement. Lou thought
> this should be there and I asked the list if there were objections to
> this, and I did not hear anyone object, so I added it.
>
> Lets try to hear from Lou on this.

I think I've covered it above.

Much thanks,
Lou