Re: [IPsec] RFC4869 bis submitted

Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com> Fri, 13 November 2009 21:35 UTC

From: Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>
To: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman@vpnc.org>, "Law, Laurie" <lelaw@tycho.ncsc.mil>, "ipsec@ietf.org" <ipsec@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 23:36:29 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [IPsec] RFC4869 bis submitted

I strongly disagree with this.  UI suites are not "profiles". To quote from RFC 4308:
   This document specifies optional suites of
   algorithms and attributes that can be used to simplify the
   administration of IPsec when used in manual keying mode, with IKEv1
   or with IKEv2.

Since we want them to be in the UI, we can't have 50 different ones, so this registry cannot accommodate a profile for every government, institution and military in the world. We want to have few of them (I'd say no more than 8) that are relevant at any given point. This is why I was against defining a "VPN-C" a few years ago, that would have been AES-CBC with HMAC-SHA1, and DH group 14.

So while I'd like to have a "new algorithm" suite in my UI, that would use AES-GCM, SHA-256/384 and the ECDH groups, it doesn't make sense to add a requirement for ECDSA certs to that list.  Definitely not when they're in the same "list" as VPN-A and VPN-B.