Re: [IPsec] NUDGE: WG Last Call for draft-ietf-ipsecme-dh-checks

"Dan Harkins" <dharkins@lounge.org> Tue, 09 April 2013 20:13 UTC

Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2013 13:13:17 -0700
From: Dan Harkins <dharkins@lounge.org>
To: IPsecme WG <ipsec@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [IPsec] NUDGE: WG Last Call for draft-ietf-ipsecme-dh-checks

  Hello,

  I think it looks fine and I have a nit that the authors can ignore
if they like.

  I don't like the fact that RFC 5903 does not list a specific value for
"a" in the parameter set definition and instead just says -3 in the
equation for the curve. This draft does the same sort of thing in
Section 2.3 by saying, "for groups 19, 20, 21,  a=-3, and all other
values of a, b and p for the group are listed in the RFC." Which to
me sounds like it's the same value: minus three.

  Note that RFC 5114 also defines these groups but lists the proper
(to me) value for "a". It's probably not right to just refer to RFC 5114,
especially since RFC 5903 is listed in the repository for those curves,
so my nit would be to change it to "for groups 19, 20, and 21,
a = -3 mod p, and for all other values...." just to let the reader who
might not be so familiar with the topic know that "a" is not the same
for each curve.

  This is a good draft and I'm glad it was written.

  regards,

  Dan.