Subject: [IPsec] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-reliable-transport-04.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 May 2026 07:20:55 -0700
List-Id: Discussion of IPsec protocols <ipsec.ietf.org>

Internet-Draft draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-reliable-transport-04.txt is now
available. It is a work item of the IP Security Maintenance and Extensions
(IPSECME) WG of the IETF.

   Title:   Separate Transports for IKE and ESP
   Authors: Valery Smyslov
            Tirumaleswar Reddy
   Name:    draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-reliable-transport-04.txt
   Pages:   11
   Dates:   2026-05-15

Abstract:

   The Internet Key Exchange protocol version 2 (IKEv2) can operate
   either over unreliable (UDP) transport or over reliable (TCP)
   transport.  If TCP is used, then IPsec tunnels created by IKEv2 also
   use TCP.  This document specifies how to decouple IKEv2 and IPsec
   transports so that IKEv2 can operate over TCP, while IPsec tunnels
   use unreliable transport.  This feature allows IKEv2 to effectively
   exchange large blobs of data (e.g., when post-quantum algorithms are
   employed) while avoiding performance problems that arise when IPsec
   uses TCP.

The IETF datatracker status page for this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-reliable-transport/

There is also an HTMLized version available at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-reliable-transport-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://author-tools.ietf.org/iddiff?url2=draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-reliable-transport-04

Internet-Drafts are also available by rsync at:
rsync.ietf.org::internet-drafts