[IPsec] [IANA #111200] [old message] Possible update to isakmp-registry

Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi> Mon, 09 January 2012 15:54 UTC

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 17:50:44 +0200
From: Tero Kivinen <kivinen@iki.fi>
To: iana-matrix@iana.org
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org, turners@ieca.com, liang@icann.org, stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie
Subject: [IPsec] [IANA #111200] [old message] Possible update to isakmp-registry

[I CCed the ipsec@ietf.org list, as this changes the registration
policies, and we have already had some discussion about this earlier
on the list and other people there might also have their opinion about
the matter.]

Pearl Liang via RT writes:
> 1) What are the registration procedures for these sub-registries
> listed in http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipsec-registry:
>
> - Exchange Type
> - Additional Exchanges Defined-- XCHG values
> - Next Payload Types
> - Notify Message Types
>   - Notify Messages - Error Types (1-8191)
>   - Notify Messages - Status Types (16384-24575)
>
> ?  I would like to update "Not defined" if possible.

For most of those it is not defined... I.e the original RFC does not
specify any registration procedures for them (or for some other
registries we have there).

I would most likely think it would be best to put them as
"Specification required" or "RFC required".

Actually I think we should go through the RFC2407-2409 and see from
there for which registries they do specify any registration policies,
and use those values for only those registries and put everything else
as "Specification required" or "RFC Required".

Registry Name: Attribute Classes
Current: Standards-track RFC
RFC2409: 11.1 Attribute Classes

   Attributes negotiated in this protocol are identified by their class.
   Requests for assignment of new classes must be accompanied by a
   standards-track RFC which describes the use of this attribute.

-> Standards-track RFC, already OK

Registry Name:  Encryption Algorithm Class Values (Value 1)
Current: Standards-track or Informational RFC
RFC2409: 11.2 Encryption Algorithm Class

   Values of the Encryption Algorithm Class define an encryption
   algorithm to use when called for in this document. Requests for
   assignment of new encryption algorithm values must be accompanied by
   a reference to a standards-track or Informational RFC or a reference
   to published cryptographic literature which describes this algorithm.

-> Specification required, currently this is Standards-track or
   Informational RFC, but I think Specification required is closer to
   what the RFC says about "a reference to published cryptographic
   literature".

Registry Name: Hash Algorithm (Value 2)
Current: Standards-track or Informational RFC
RFC2409: 11.3 Hash Algorithm

   Values of the Hash Algorithm Class define a hash algorithm to use
   when called for in this document. Requests for assignment of new hash
   algorithm values must be accompanied by a reference to a standards-
   track or Informational RFC or a reference to published cryptographic
   literature which describes this algorithm. Due to the key derivation
   and key expansion uses of HMAC forms of hash algorithms in IKE,
   requests for assignment of new hash algorithm values must take into
   account the cryptographic properties-- e.g it's resistance to
   collision-- of the hash algorithm itself.

-> Specification required, see above.

Registry Name: IPSEC Authentication Methods (Value 3)
Current: Standards-track RFC

There is nothing about this in the RFC2409, so I would say either "RFC
required" or "Specification required" would be ok. There is draft
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-harkins-ike-iana-update-00 already
proposing this change.

Registry Name: Group Description (Value 4)
Current: Standards-track or Informational RFC
Registry Name: Group Type (Value 5)
Current: Standards-track or Informational RFC
RFC2409: 11.4 Group Description and Group Type

   Values of the Group Description Class identify a group to use in a
   Diffie-Hellman exchange. Values of the Group Type Class define the
   type of group. Requests for assignment of new groups must be
   accompanied by a reference to a standards-track or Informational RFC
   which describes this group. Requests for assignment of new group
   types must be accompanied by a reference to a standards-track or
   Informational RFC or by a reference to published cryptographic or
   mathmatical literature which describes the new type.

Group Description (Value 4) -> RFC required
Group Type (Value 5) -> Specification required

Registry Name: Life Type (Value 11)
Current: Specification Required
RFC2409: 11.5 Life Type

   Values of the Life Type Class define a type of lifetime to which the
   ISAKMP Security Association applies. Requests for assignment of new
   life types must be accompanied by a detailed description of the units
   of this type and its expiry.

-> Hmm... this is vague, I would expect it means "Specification
   required", so ok already.

Registry Name: PRF (Value 13)
Current: Standards-track or Informational RFC

There is nothing about this in the RFC2409, so I would say either "RFC
required" or "Specification required" would be ok.

Registry Name: Exchange Type
Current: Not defined

There is nothing in RFC2409/RFC2408. There has not been additions to
this, and I do not expect there to be one (as all new stuff should be
done on the protocol which obsoleted this one). I would say "Standards
Action" would most likely be best for this.

Registry Name: Additional Exchanges Defined-- XCHG values
Current: Not defined

There is nothing in RFC2409/RFC2408. Same as above -> "Standards
Action".

Registry Name: ISAKMP Domain of Interpretation (DOI)
Current: Standards-track RFC
RFC2408: Domain of Interpretation

   The Domain of Interpretation (DOI) is a 32-bit field which identifies
   the domain under which the security association negotiation is taking
   place.  Requests for assignments of new DOIs must be accompanied by a
   standards-track RFC which describes the specific domain.

-> "Standards action" (i.e. Standards-track RFC)

Registry Name: Next Payload Types
Current: Internet Draft

There is nothing in RFC2409/RFC2408. There has been more of these, so
"RFC required", I think Internet Draft is bit too low, and not
matching the RFC5226 usages.

Registry Name: Notify Message Types
Current: Not defined
Sub-registry: Notify Messages - Error Types (1-8191)
Current: Not defined
Sub-Registry: Notify Messages - Status Types (16384-24575)
Current: Not defined

No additions to these registries, but these are large registries, so
perhaps "RFC required".

There is a problem in the "IPSEC Authentication Methods (Value 3)" as
there is 3 values which do not have any real specification, i.e.

6             Encryption with El-Gamal
7             Revised encryption with El-Gamal
8             ECDSA signatures                        [Fahn]

As there is no reference to any document or anything, I have no idea
how anybody could actually implement those in interoperable manner. I
would suggest changing those to:

6             Reserved (was Encryption with El-Gamal)
7             Reserved (was Revised encryption with El-Gamal)
8             Reserved (was ECDSA signatures)

so it is clear that nobody knows how those should be implemented...

> 2) I've added the draft ietf-ipsec-ike-ecc-groups to ipsec-registry.
> I then noticed that the document also requests the following values
> as described in Table 2 in the IANA Considerations section:
>
> 6 EC2NGF163Random2
> 7 EC2NGF163Koblitz
> 8 EC2NGF283Random
> 9 EC2NGF283Koblitz
> 10 EC2NGF409Random
> 11 EC2NGF409Koblitz
> 12 EC2NGF571Random
> 13 EC2NGF571Koblitz

These are from the
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-ecc-groups-04 version,
i.e. the registry was updated at some point in 2002 even when the
registry had registration policy of "RFC Required" and the document
was still draft (and was never published as RFC).

I think you should remove "Panjwani" and "Blake-Wilson" and put
"ipsec-ike-ecc-groups" for all of them, and put some down a footnote
saying that the registry was updated too early and the draft never
made it to the RFC, but as these values might be used by some
implementations they are left there in the registry, but new
implementations should not use them. Also the reference could point
out that the values in the registry match the -04 version of the
document.

> 22 ECPRGF192Random
> 23 EC2NGF163Random
> 24 ECPRGF224Random
> 25 EC2NGF233Random
> 26 EC2NGF233Koblitz

These overlap with the already allocated other groups, so those should
not be added to the registry.

> Question: are these, specifically 10-13 & 22-26, no longer required
> by ietf-ipsec-ike-ecc-groups?  If we should leave them untouched,
> please let me know.

The draft-ietf-ipsec-ike-ecc-groups document will most likely not be
going forward so adding the footnotes and comments to references might
be best.

I did not yet check the isakmp-registry, I will do that later.

--
kivinen@iki.fi