[IPsec] Question about IKEv1 and ECDSA

Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com> Wed, 28 November 2012 08:08 UTC

From: Yoav Nir <ynir@checkpoint.com>
To: IPsecme WG <ipsec@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 08:07:53 +0000
x-originating-ip: [172.31.21.38]
x-kse-antivirus-interceptor-info: scan successful
x-kse-antivirus-info: Clean
Subject: [IPsec] Question about IKEv1 and ECDSA

Hi

I know we don't like IKEv1 questions, but RFC 4754 does mention it, so here goes. And sorry if this has been discussed before. I couldn't find it.

In IKEv1 the authentication method is negotiated as an SA parameter. So presumably the Initiator proposes RSA signatures, ECDSA with the P-256 curve, etc, and the Responder chooses one of them. This happens in packets #1 and #2.

Later the certificate to actually present (in packets #5 and #6) is chosen based on a Certificate Request payload, and availability. This is different from IKEv2, where authentication method is implied by the certificates rather than negotiated.

So two questions:
1. Is it impossible to have one peer authenticate with RSA while the other authenticates with ECDSA, or even to mix curves?  Or am I missing something?
2. What if an IKE endpoint has >1 certificates, but the one best-suited for the certificate request has a different type key than the one agreed to in packet #2?

If I'm not missing something, it seems like IKEv1 is the wrong vehicle for the gradual introduction of ECDSA.  I'm not proposing to fix it, just trying to understand.

Yoav