[IPsec] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-multiple-ke-10: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 29 November 2022 09:38 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-multiple-ke@ietf.org, ipsecme-chairs@ietf.org, ipsec@ietf.org, kivinen@iki.fi, kivinen@iki.fi, charliep@computer.org, gih@apnic.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 01:38:09 -0800
Subject: [IPsec] Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-multiple-ke-10: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-multiple-ke-10: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-multiple-ke/

COMMENT:

# Éric Vyncke, INT AD, comments for draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-multiple-ke-10
CC @evyncke

Thank you for the work put into this document. Even if my IPsec knowledge is
now very dated, I find it relatively easy to read.

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENT points (but replies would be
appreciated even if only for my own education), and some nits.

Special thanks to Tero Kivinen for the shepherd's write-up including the WG
consensus *but* the justification of the intended status is missing.

Other thanks to Geoff Huston for his Last Call DNS directorate review at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/review-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-multiple-ke-07-dnsdir-lc-huston-2022-10-10/

Please note that Charles Perkins is the Internet directorate reviewer (at my
request) and you may want to consider this int-dir reviews as well when Charles
will complete the review (no need to wait for it though):
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-multiple-ke/reviewrequest/16618/

I hope that this review helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

## COMMENTS

Out of all Paul Wouters's points, I support the last one about AH (I am not
experience enough to appreciate the other ones). It is also related to bullet
3) of section 2.

### Missing reference RFC 8247

As indicated by idnits tool, RFC 8247 is used as a reference but is not defined
;-)

### Section 2

The bullet 2) is a nice explanation about *why* there must be multiple key
exchanges with different methods. Until reading that part, I was really
wondering why this I-D was about the link with PQC and multiple key exchanges.
Should this be mentioned in the abstract already ?

Should "FIPS" be prefixed by "USA" as in "USA FIPS" ?

## NITS

### Section 1.2

`payloads longer than 64k` suggest to specify the units of measure.

## Notes

This review is in the ["IETF Comments" Markdown format][ICMF], You can use the
[`ietf-comments` tool][ICT] to automatically convert this review into
individual GitHub issues.

[ICMF]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments/blob/main/format.md
[ICT]: https://github.com/mnot/ietf-comments