[IPsec] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev1-algo-to-historic-08: (with DISCUSS)

Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 13 December 2022 14:54 UTC

From: Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev1-algo-to-historic@ietf.org, ipsecme-chairs@ietf.org, ipsec@ietf.org, kivinen@iki.fi, kivinen@iki.fi
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2022 06:54:07 -0800
Subject: [IPsec] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev1-algo-to-historic-08: (with DISCUSS)

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev1-algo-to-historic-08: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev1-algo-to-historic/

DISCUSS:

Be ye not afraid -- see
https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/ on
handling ballots, especially DISCUSS ballots...

Can the IETF actually deprecate / make a protocol historic? (as stated in
"Internet Key Exchange version 1 (IKEv1) has been deprecated" and "IKEv1 has
been moved to Historic status.")

I agree that **making the documents that describe these** be historic is the
right thing to do, and also that the IETF can strongly recommend that people
don't use/deploy/whatever IKEv1, but I don't really know if we (or anyone) have
the power to deprecate a protocol. We are not the protocol police, and we
cannot instruct people to e.g deploy protocol foo, so I don't know if we can
deprecate a protocol either -- but I suspect that this might be because I don't
actually know what "IKEv1 has been deprecated" actually *means*.

Again, I'm not trying to block what this document is attempting to *do*, but
rather make it clear what it is actually doing.