Re: [Iptel] draft-ietf-iptel-reg-05

lconroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk> Fri, 16 May 2008 13:02 UTC

From: lconroy <lconroy@insensate.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 14:02:33 +0100
To: "Yu, James" <james.yu@neustar.biz>
Cc: fluffy@cisco.com, iptel@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Iptel] draft-ietf-iptel-reg-05
Sender: iptel-bounces@ietf.org

James,
  this is just over 1 month beyond IETF LC.

As an author on one of the RFCs referenced in the table, I believe
that...
The current tel-reg draft IS internally consistent - the last
paragraph in section 3 (across pages 3 and 4) is clear, and the table
reflects this.
The description (earlier in section 3) for authors of future tel:
parameters is also clear and precise on what needs to go into the
required parameter description RFC.
The recommendation to IANA on what should go into the updated table
in their registry is also clear.

I'm not comfortable with your proposed substantive change
(i) There is no suggested alternative text for section 3, and for the
recommendations to
     IANA on the maintenance of the table.
(ii) It is unclear whether or not you have re-evaluated the RFCs
referenced already in
      the table to ensure that they are consistent with your proposed
re-interpretation
      of the column meaning.
(iii) The registered namespaces are the parameter strings themselves,
not the
       numeric/textual values that an individual parameter can hold
after the "=".
       The second column entry is always dependent on the parameter
label string,
       and that is specified in the RFC in which the parameter string
is defined.
       => there is no potential for clash => why is any change needed?

The current tel-reg draft IS internally consistent - the last
paragraph in section 3 (across pages 3 and 4) is clear, and the table
reflects this.
The description (earlier in section 3) for authors of future tel:
parameters is also clear and precise on what needs to go into the
required parameter description RFC.
The recommendation to IANA on what should go into the updated table
in their registry is also clear.

The draft works as-is (and has done for **years**).
Whether it is the same as some other registry is not relevant to an
IANA registry; I doubt that those registries are consistent with one
another in their use of tables.

Changing things now does not help, generates more work, and adds
precisely nothing - if someone isn't going to read the guidance text,
then chaning the logic of that text (and the table) isn't going to help.

   Lawrence