Re: IAB last call... Re: [ipv6-dir] Re: Updated document

Scott W Brim <sbrim@cisco.com> Tue, 10 January 2006 15:27 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 10:27:10 -0500
From: Scott W Brim <sbrim@cisco.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brc@zurich.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: IAB last call... Re: [ipv6-dir] Re: Updated document
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, "<john.loughney@nokia.com> (Nokia-NRC/Helsinki) John" <john.loughney@nokia.com>, IAB IAB <iab@ietf.org>, Margaret Wasserman <MRW@devicescape.com>, Leslie Daigle <leslie@thinkingcat.com>, Bradner Scott <sob@harvard.edu>, ipv6-dir@ietf.org, Kurt Erik Lindqvist <kurtis@kurtis.pp.se>
Sender: ipv6-dir-bounces@ietf.org

On 01/10/2006 04:40 AM, Brian E Carpenter allegedly wrote:
> I have no problems with this version. I don't understand the
> mindset of the people asking the question well enough to judge
> whether it's really on target. I wonder if we are missing some
> general scene-setting at the beginning? Time is short to debate this,
> but it's possible we should say something like
>
> We remind the NGN community that IPv6 is a relatively conservative
> replacement for IPv4, intentionally with no revolutionary features,
> and that it is intended to overcome the addressing limitations and
> some specific omissions in IPv4 without in any way fundamentally
> changing the nature of the Internet. As such, we see very limited risk
> and much to gain by unambiguous adoption of IPv6.
>
> Or something.
>
>   Brian

There's no question about adoption of IPv6.  They love it.  My
evaluation is that their mindset is more one of showing SG13 how well
IPv6 fits the NGN goals.  In order to do that better they (1) want a
roadmap from the IETF and (2) intend to bring some drafts in on
enhancements to "IPv6" (for a broad definition of the term) for the
gaps between NGN goals and IPv6 capabilities.  One of my intentions
was to encourage early review of their gap analyses and maybe show
them that IPv6 can already do what they want in some way.  That's why
I was very happy when Margaret suggested getting volunteer experts to
help.  It appears that they actually know a lot already, but could use
a little support from those who see the architectural vision.  Anyway,
I hope that after this meeting they will be able to send at least one
of their documents for review and response by ipv6dir.

swb