Subject: [IPv6]Protocol Action: 'Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) Reflection' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-6man-icmpv6-reflection-19.txt)
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF-Announce" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], The IESG <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2025 11:10:20 -0800
List-Id: "IPv6 Maintenance Working Group (6man)" <ipv6.ietf.org>

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMPv6) Reflection'
  (draft-ietf-6man-icmpv6-reflection-19.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Erik Kline and Éric Vyncke.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-icmpv6-reflection/

Technical Summary

   This document describes the ICMPv6 Reflection utility.  The ICMPv6
   Reflection utility is a diagnostic tool, similar to Ping and the
   ICMPv6 Probe utility.  It is similar to Ping and Probe in that it
   relies on a stateless message exchange between a probing node and a
   probed node.  The probing node sends a request to the probed node and
   the probed node responds to the request.

   The ICMPv6 Reflection utility differs from Ping and Probe because, in
   the ICMPv6 Reflection utility, the probing node requests a snapshot
   of the message that it sent, as it was when arrived at the probed
   node.  The probed node returns the requested snapshot.

   The ICMPv6 Reflection utility is useful because it can allow the user
   to see how the network modified the request as it traveled from the
   probing node to the probed node.

Working Group Summary

   No major controversy.  Related work is being done in ietf-intarea-rfc8335bis.

Document Quality

   Per the shepherd write-up, there is an implementation available on GitHub.

Personnel

   The Document Shepherd for this document is Jen Linkova. The Responsible
   Area Director is Erik Kline.

IANA Note

  IANA is requested to make updates within the "ICMP Extension Object Classes and Class Sub-types" registry.