RE: New Version Notification for draft-halpern-6man-nd-pre-resolve-addr-00.txt

Greg Daley <gdaley@au.logicalis.com> Sun, 19 January 2014 22:50 UTC

From: Greg Daley <gdaley@au.logicalis.com>
To: 'Mark ZZZ Smith' <markzzzsmith@yahoo.com.au>, 'Ing-Wher Chen' <ing-wher.chen@ericsson.com>, "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: New Version Notification for draft-halpern-6man-nd-pre-resolve-addr-00.txt
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 22:50:12 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.18.196.183]

Hi Mark,

When we were looking at accelerating DAD for mobile nodes a while ago, I investigated the state held by MLD and wrote a draft.
(Now expired http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-daley-ipv6-mcast-dad-02)

A much better solution was found (now RFC 4429), but the consistent state keeping by the MLD querier (and other routers) is still present (particularly for MLDv2).

(I am now thinking out loud, so please bear with me)

The difference is that the solicited nodes' address was not identical to an address binding and that (after listener state synchronization) only the non-presence of an MLD listener on the solicited nodes address could be used to prove the address was absent.  For relatively sparse links and subnets this would allow the router to state explicitly that the address was not in use.

For ND cache protection, the presence of any MLD listener on the solicited nodes' activates the group, and no-listeners means there isn't even a reason to transmit the neighbour solicitation.

Unless the router maintains additional ND cache state, it cannot distinguish between an activated group and which of the addresses is active, and thus a subset of the addresses (e.g. the globally routable equivalent of a Link-local address with a particular solicited nodes [and anything with the same IID lower order bits]).

Is this sufficient protection, or does there have to be more specific state gathered in the ND cache, perhaps through the discussed draft?

Sincerely,

Greg Daley