Subject: Re: problem statement [was Re: New Version Notification for draft-hinden-ipv4flag-00.txt]
From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 15:33:05 +0100
List-Id: "IPv6 Maintenance Working Group \(6man\)" <ipv6.ietf.org>

Le 20/11/2017 à 08:51, Mikael Abrahamsson a écrit :
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2017, Lorenzo Colitti wrote:
> 
>> Sure. But you wouldn't need complicated infrastructure for this - if 
>> all that's necessary is to respond to a DHCPv4 request with a canned 
>> "no DHCPv4 here" packet that is always the same, that's a lot easier 
>> to deploy than a full DHCPv4 infrastructure.
> 
> This functionality doesn't exist today in any access network I know of. 

That may not exist, but the counterpart functionality of blocking all 
that is _not_ IPv4 may exist.

On my enterprise IPv4-only network my laptop's RJ45 leds did not even 
blink this morning.  It was because I had unchecked IPv4 on my Windows, 
because I used in the Terminal Room at IETF, which was IPv6 only.

I suppose the switches on my enterprise network block all RJ45 that dont 
reply to IPv4, and block them hardly (RJ45 leds are off).

Same laptop connected to a dumb hub had the leds on.

Alex

[snip]