RE: Liaison from BBF

"Wojciech Dec (wdec)" <wdec@cisco.com> Tue, 10 November 2009 01:29 UTC

Subject: RE: Liaison from BBF
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 02:29:59 +0100
From: "Wojciech Dec (wdec)" <wdec@cisco.com>
To: David Allan I <david.i.allan@ericsson.com>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org

I'd like to put forward some additional points which should perhaps be
concise enough to clarify the liaison and questions a bit more.
There are actually two issues, out of which the duplicate MAC address
issue is IMO a far less tractable problem (as it needs to be solved at
L2 for anything to work).
1. Within a shared L2 domain with constrained forwarding (aka NBMA), for
two users A & B with *different* MAC addresses, user B may spoof the LL
address of user A and thus lead possibly to a DoS attack (on a FCFS
basis). Similarly user B may try to spoof the LL address of N users
(again on an FCFS basis). Does SAVI propose to solve this problem and if
so how?

2. A duplicate MAC address in a shared broadcast domain is a
possibility.
At L2, this problem is tractable by any one of
a) denying the dupe addresses access to the network service on a FCFS
basis (common practice today)
b) assigning each duped MAC to a different broadcast domain
c) MAC address translation (MAC NAT).
Solution c) requires some form of ALGs (for v4 and v6). Eg In the v6
case any EUI-64 derived LL addresses will still be the same and thus an
ND ALG appears needed. What is the IETF's opinion about this type of
solution (c), if any?

Regards,
Woj.