Re: Adoption call criteria for CRH? [was: Re: CRH and RH0]

Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar> Fri, 15 May 2020 19:40 UTC

Subject: Re: Adoption call criteria for CRH? [was: Re: CRH and RH0]
To: "Zafar Ali (zali)" <zali=40cisco.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston@liquidtelecom.com>, John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>, "6man-chairs@ietf.org" <6man-chairs@ietf.org>
Cc: "spring@ietf.org" <spring@ietf.org>, "6man@ietf.org" <6man@ietf.org>
From: Fernando Gont <fernando@gont.com.ar>
Date: Fri, 15 May 2020 16:40:29 -0300

Zafar,

I will be very open and straightforward:

* I don't care myself about CRH. i.e., I'm not pushing that effort
forward, and have no kind of agenda whatsoever around it.

* Your claims are attacking myself, because you seem to imply that the
appeal was intended as a political attack against the spring chairs or
responsible AD, or to benefit other work such as CRH.

In that light, I'm going to be quite open and transparent:

1) I asked numerous times for the Spring chairs and responsible AD to
become involved, so that I wouldn't have to formally appeal the spring
process. I did it multiple times, both on-list and off-list -- I even
did so on the ietf@ietf.org mailing-list, and well before spring wglc
consensus was declared. Other people (please see the references in the
appeal text) did the same. But the chairs and AD dismissed our concerns,
and went ahead.

2) I made it public, numerous times, that I would Appeal the decision.
That was even reflected in the document shepherd's writeup for the
network-programming draft.

3) I have been the one that wrote 100% of the text in the Appeal. Not
99%, but 100%. In the process, I asked quite-publicly, on-list, that
folks send me the issues that they had raised and felt that had been
dismissed, such that the Appeal would be as complete and well-documented
as possible.

I had the Appeal text ready a week or so after Spring WGLC consensus was
declared, but had to wait to submit it because it took the Spring chairs
over a month to reflect their decision on the datatracker.

In the mean time, I contacted many 6man participants, and sent them my
draft version of the appeal, asking if they had any comments or corrections.

I was planning to submit the Appeal alone. But while doing the last pass
on the appeal text, I happened to talk to Andrew and Sander (Appeal
co-signers) about the issue of the IPv6 address space involved. And
during that last exchange, they expressed that they would like to sign
the appeal (noting that it was up to me).

I agreed with them to sign the Appeal, in the same way that I would have
agreed with any other participant signing the Appeal if they agreed with
the points being raised by the Appeal.

4) It is not my business whether folks (say, CRH authors or whoever),
benefit from the Appeal. Because my motivation for submitting the Appeal
has been my technical concerns with the network-programming draft, and
with the lack of transparency (at best) of the procedures that led to
Spring shipping that document to the IESG. Other times I had experienced
other arbitrary decisions, and experience has shown that silently
accepting those turns out to be a bigger problem over time, and they
kind of become established practice. So this time it was "enough is
enough" for me.

So, as far as the Appeal is concerned, I hope you can rectify your
statements, because they are, at best, defamatory and unfounded.

Thanks,
Fernando