Re: Death by extension header (was:RE: New Version Notification for draft-li-6man-hbh-fwd-hdr-00.txt)

Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de> Tue, 14 July 2020 22:34 UTC

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 00:34:44 +0200
From: Toerless Eckert <tte@cs.fau.de>
To: "Jakob Heitz (jheitz)" <jheitz@cisco.com>
Cc: Gyan Mishra <hayabusagsm@gmail.com>, Ron Bonica <rbonica=40juniper.net@dmarc.ietf.org>, "6man@ietf.org" <6man@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: Death by extension header (was:RE: New Version Notification for draft-li-6man-hbh-fwd-hdr-00.txt)
References: <DM6PR05MB6348708352E1EE4421A61D63AE650@DM6PR05MB6348.namprd05.prod.outlook.com> <CALx6S34e21BLHRfx+p7agrzzDsx-M-XxB6cZQnWc-d0wqSesRQ@mail.gmail.com> <DM6PR05MB6348BCE5DDB6A8AF52D04FFAAE650@DM6PR05MB6348.namprd05.prod.outlook.com> <20200713191832.GC38490@faui48f.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> <CALx6S34TzXzHY1SK7te6-bcxO8V=kE1+o1AjL2S2oAPVTNbTBg@mail.gmail.com> <4278D47A901B3041A737953BAA078ADE19160AFC@DGGEML532-MBX.china.huawei.com> <CABNhwV1w0JS0Rz-8KWUGAZ8o577=ciWgVXn9SLxS-sA5mjsRHA@mail.gmail.com> <20200714073612.GM38490@faui48f.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> <BYAPR11MB3207F6893A9A66F23B6564E0C0610@BYAPR11MB3207.namprd11.prod.outlook.com>

On Tue, Jul 14, 2020 at 07:00:12PM +0000, Jakob Heitz (jheitz) wrote:
> BFD is a control function by definition, but is executed on the line card.
> Is it in the data plane or the control plane?

Good example.

On way to look at it is that we say we have management, control and data plane at
each layer, and i don't even have an idea what explicitly belongs to which of the
three (someone else can figure it out).

But forwarding plane are considerations that may be applied to elements of
management,control and data-plane and that relate to desigining functionality so it
can execute well on constrained HW. from low-power/bitrate/cpu IOT to Tbps
functionality constrained core routers.

> A label action that causes a second lookup may occur in one pass or
> may require to recirculate the packet for a second pass.
> To walk the list of extension headers to find the TCP ports to run an ACL
> may be done inline or require more passes.
> How slow is the slow path?

Right. IMHO we could say "slowpath" and fastpath should just be historic terms.

maybe we think about building blocks used to build management/control/data-planes:
forwarding, compute, inference - just to give examples of the three typical
HW building blocks one could find.

Cheers
    Toerless