RE: APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-mboned-64-multicast-address-format-01

<mohamed.boucadair@orange.com> Wed, 09 May 2012 13:09 UTC

From: mohamed.boucadair@orange.com
To: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>, "draft-ietf-mboned-64-multicast-address-format.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-mboned-64-multicast-address-format.all@tools.ietf.org>, "apps-discuss@ietf.org application-layer protocols" <apps-discuss@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 15:09:25 +0200
Subject: RE: APPSDIR review of draft-ietf-mboned-64-multicast-address-format-01
acceptlanguage: fr-FR
Cc: "mboned@ietf.org" <mboned@ietf.org>, "6man@ietf.org" <6man@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>

Dear Carsten,

Thank you for the review.

Please see inline.

Cheers,
Med

Med: There are plenty of applications using this address format: e.g., [I-D.ietf-softwire-mesh-multicast], [I-D.ietf-softwire-dslite-multicast], [I-D.ietf-softwire-multicast-prefix-option], [I-D.venaas-behave-v4v6mc-framework],  [I-D.sarikaya-behave-netext-nat64-pmip], [I-D.sarikaya-behave-mext-nat64-dsmip], etc. We had pointers to some of those drafts in earlier versions of the document but we removed them and adopted the same approach as RFC6052: only the address format is defined while the usage is defined in companion documents. More details are also documented here: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-behave-64-multicast-address-format-03#appendix-A.1 and http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-behave-64-multicast-address-format-03#appendix-A.2.

There is also a problem statement, available at: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jaclee-behave-v4v6-mcast-ps-03 which can be cited in the introduction.

>** Major Issues:
>
>To continue the summary: I don't understand which network elements
>need to be able to determine, by looking at an IP address, that this
>document is in use.  What for?  More generally, which entities need to
>interoperate based on a common understanding of this format?

Med: Elements which make use of the address format are deployment-specific; this can be a receiver, an IPv4-IPv6 PIM interworking function, IGMP/MLD Interworking function. We didn't quoted these interworking functions because this is deployment-specific. Do you think your issue can be solved if we add a pointer to one of the solutions documented listed above?

>Of the various fields left "configurable according to local policies
>of the entity managing the IPv4-IPv6 Interconnection Function", which
>are important for applications?  How do they know these policies?

Med: The content of this filed is left configurable. Its value will depend on the policies enforced by the administrative entity. Examples of these policies are: embedded-RF, use unicast-based prefix, etc. Applications are not aware of these policies since a prefix will (likely /96) will be provisioned (see Section 6).

  If
>that information is all in the two parameters "ASM_MPREFIX64" and
>"SSM_MPREFIX64", what is the protocol that will be used to make this
>information available to applications?  I don't think this can be a
>standards-track document without defining at least one MTI protocol
>for disseminating this information.

Med: The provisioning of the ASM_PREFIX64 and the SSM_PREFIX is orthogonal to the address format itself. Various methods can be used but this is out of scope of the document. We can add a pointer to http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-softwire-multicast-prefix-option-00 as a provisioning example. Would you be fine with adding such reference?

  What is an implementation
>supposed to do that receives an address that looks like it is governed
>by this document but does not conform to either of the agreed
>prefixes disseminated to the implementation?

Med: This is an issue for the provisioning method and not for the specification of the address format itself.

>This document needs editorial attention.  I will abstain from trying
>to make detailed corrections, as this would become tedious quickly.
>While much of this work could be done by the RFC editor, some of the
>editorial decisions will enter e.g. IANA registries, so the technical
>terms need to be decided now.  More importantly, understanding this
>document during its development process (including mine as a reviewer)
>may be hampered by its editorial shortcomings.
>
>** Minor Issues:
>
>My first editorial problem is with the title.  This address format is
>not embedded in IPv4, as the title wants to make us believe.  Instead,
>it is talking about an multicast address format for IPv6 that embeds
>an IPv4 multicast address.  (While this misleading naming repeats the
>same mistake that has been made in RFC 6052, at least there it is not
>part of the title.)

Med: Could you please suggest a better title?

>3
>
>The role of 64IX is very unclear.  My conjecture is that this draft is
>defining the address format for the case M=1 only (i.e., address[16] =
>1).  No text defines what happens for M=0, so the assumption appears
>to be that RFC 4291 applies unchanged in this case.  If this
>conjecture is correct, this needs to be made much clearer.

Med: The current text says: "When "M-bit" is set to 1, it indicates that a multicast
      IPv4 address is embedded in the low-order 32 bits of the multicast
      IPv6 address.". I can add: "When "M-bit" is set to 0, the address format follows [RFC4291].". Would this be fine with you?

>What is "r"?  Define.

Med: This means "reserved". The text says: "All the remaining bits are reserved and MUST be set
      to 0.". Do you think the text should be clarified further?

>4
>
>Why is 64IX moving around here?
>(The discriminating bit M now seems to be address[32].)
>How does one find out which of the two positions of the M bit to use?

Med: Once the prefix is configured to a receiver, an IPv4-IPv6 PIM interworking function, the question of the location of the M-bit is not relevant anymore. If both ASM and SSM modes are supported, two prefixes will be used.

>.          o  sub-group-id: The default value is all zeros.
>How does an application find out when to choose a different one?

Med: Applications are provisioned with the full prefix; see Section 6.

>.             232.0.0.1-232.0.0.255 range is being
>.             reserved to IANA.
>Who is making this reservation?  ("is being reserved" means the
>resernation is going on right now, but I don't find anything in 9.)

Med: We removed that sentence as a result of a comment I received from SM (see mboned archives).

>7
>
>7 seems to imply this format is only useful where RFC 6052 is in use.
>If this is true, this should be clearly stated.  More specifically,
>the assumption appears to be that all nodes that need to exchange
>information that concerns IPv4 sources need to have the same RFC 6052
>parameters in effect.  How is that ensured?

Med: This is a generic issue for RFC6052. We can document the issue if it is specific to the multicast context.

>** Nits:
>
>10 -- s/defined/defines/

Med: Fixed. Thanks.