Re: MLDv1 still in the wild?

Stig Venaas <stig@venaas.com> Wed, 29 February 2012 22:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 14:10:27 -0800
From: Stig Venaas <stig@venaas.com>
To: sarikaya@ieee.org
Subject: Re: MLDv1 still in the wild?
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org, Behcet Sarikaya <sarikaya2012@gmail.com>

On 2/29/2012 1:17 PM, Behcet Sarikaya wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 2:42 PM, Fernando Gont<fgont@si6networks.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> On the open-source side, I know of OpenBSD and NetBSD which are still
>>> MLDv1 only.
>>
>> Even if they implemented MLDv2, I'd argue that the default should
>> probably be MLDv1 rather than MLDv2: unless non-local multicast is
>> employed, MLDv2 is unnecessarily complex if it's just for the purpose of
>> ND and the like.
>
> This is true.

I think the main reason OpenBSD and NetBSD don't support SSM is
Apple's IPR claim. Without SSM support, there is little reason to
support MLDv2.

I'm a bit curious about the reason for the question. At least MLDv2
routers are supposed to support MLDv1 compatibility mode.

> However, RFC 5790, on Lightweight IGMP/MLD makes it easy to support
> SSM. I think there is open source support for 5790 somewhere.

What it does is basically removing exclude mode for a non-empty
source list. It is still a lot of work compared to IGMPv2/MLDv1.
Apart from hosts in general, I can imagine a lot of special purpose
devices that never needs SSM to only implement MLDv1.

Stig