Re: there _is_ IPv6 NAT - just look for it

Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com> Sat, 15 March 2014 18:55 UTC

Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 19:54:55 +0100
From: Alexandru Petrescu <alexandru.petrescu@gmail.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: there _is_ IPv6 NAT - just look for it
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org

Le 15/03/2014 08:31, Brian E Carpenter a écrit :
> On 15/03/2014 10:29, Alexandru Petrescu wrote:
>> Le 13/03/2014 15:27, Lorenzo Colitti a écrit : [...]
>>> It's true that those that want IPv6 to be exactly like IPv4 are
>>> disappointed, because IPv6 is not IPv4. No, you can't do routing
>>> without RAs. No, you can't "save addresses" by making host
>>> subnets /120s (at least not easily). No, there is no RFC1918. No,
>>> ULAs are not the same as RFC1918. No, there is no NAT.
>>
>> Yes there is IPv6 NAT an dit works just like in IPv4.
>
> We can't make it illegal, but we have already made it unnecessary.

Hi Brian,

I agree with this in a sense: IPv6 address space is huge and hence the
IPv4 NAT is unnecessary.  IPv6 being embraced in more and more places is
a witness of this success.  It solves the IPv4 depletion problem in a
more Internet way than the architecturally e2e impossible way of NAT IPv4.

But, until cellular and some DSL operators provide something shorter
than a single /64 to a single SIM end user, or alternatively the
SLAAC/WiFi changes its EUI-64/64 IID stance, the IPv6 NAT is a viable
solution.

I consider it seriously when connecting any mobile network to the
Internet - like a multi-subnet LAN of a cheap vehicle, or a WPAN, or a
fixed sensor network, or a fixed hotspot in a remote area.

Alex