Re: 3484bis and privacy addresses

Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net> Fri, 06 April 2012 09:30 UTC

Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 11:30:05 +0200
From: Ray Hunter <v6ops@globis.net>
To: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <tireddy@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: 3484bis and privacy addresses
Cc: "Prashanth Patil (praspati)" <praspati@cisco.com>, Brian Haberman <brian@innovationslab.net>, ipv6@ietf.org

Interesting draft. Thanks.

The elephant in the room is that DHCPv6 clients are still not deployed
on all end nodes that would benefit from it.

Many other 6man drafts, such as draft-ietf-6man-addr-select-opt-03 also
rely on DHCPv6.

Let's hope that the market now manages toquickly resolve what the IETF
has not managed to resolve in over 10 years of discussion, and selects a
universally available communication channel for passing configuration
hints between the network and end nodes that move between networks.

Otherwise changing default behavior (like being discussed in the update
from 3484 to 3484bis), or implementing new features in 6man, will likely
make migration to IPv6 duringdual stack operation harder, or break
existing stuff, or both.

regards,
RayH