RE: 6MAN WG Last Call:draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-00.txt

"MILES DAVID" <David.Miles@alcatel-lucent.com.au> Tue, 01 July 2008 00:24 UTC

Subject: RE: 6MAN WG Last Call:draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-00.txt
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 08:23:58 +0800
From: MILES DAVID <David.Miles@alcatel-lucent.com.au>
To: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <shemant@cisco.com>, "Wes Beebee (wbeebee)" <wbeebee@cisco.com>, ipv6@ietf.org
Cc: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, erik.nordmark@sun.com
Sender: ipv6-bounces@ietf.org

Thanks Hemant and Wes,

To your question on examples - this came about as a result of customer
interpretation of RFC 4861 (and a specific test case). The RFC literally
says one should populate Neighbour Cache when you receive a NS
regardless of whether that address is in the Prefix List and any NA/ND
received is on-link. This process in RFC 4861 does not describe how
on-link determination is affected so I hoped we can have this discussion
to conclude whether the text should remain or whether we need to clarify
on-link determination. The examples you have used (no router with
manual/DHCPv6 assigned addresses) are much better.

My query relates to text in both RFC4861 and your draft, where we say
that any ND received means the address is considered on-link. In your
draft you explicitly state (in point 5) that if there are no Default
Routers, and no other information indicating on-link prefix (including
the mere presence of an address) then (sub-point 2): "The host MUST NOT
perform address resolution for non-link-local addresses".
This would seem to create a stalemate situation. I.e., for any received
ND a host will consider that address on-link (bullet point in question
in RFC4861), but you MUST NOT perform address resolution unless a
destination address is on-link (your draft section 5.2) and so cannot
populate other hosts with your addresses by sending NS. NA are not
periodically sent and a receiving host should discard them if the target
does not match a valid interface (RFC 4861 7.2.5).

Per your email, the intent is clearly for the receipt of a ND to update
on-link determination (this ::/128 is now on-link). We must also ensure
we will send ND for this on-link address to update other hosts.

As want the reception of a ND to indicate that address (the
target/source of a NA, and the source of a NS) is on-link we need some
clarifying text that would describe:
- How on-link determination is enhanced with information from ND
messages received
- That we shouldn't discard NA with a target that isn't in the receiving
host's Neighbour Cache - we need to somehow update on-link determination
with information from the NA
- Whether we update Prefix List with ::/128 from the received ND
messages; consult Neighbour Cache for on-link determination; create an
entry in the Destination Cache, etc
- Determine how long an address will be considered on-link for. What
lifetime will we associate with this learnt on-link address? Until
interface reset/reinitialise or receipt of a PIO? What if a default
router becomes active - should we still treat this ::/128 (from a
received ND) on-link?
- How a hostA will send NA/ND to other hosts so they may determine
hostA's address is on-link

The other alternatives are to:
- Require a prefix-len be specified when manually configuring an address
(ie, adopt SLAAC rules)
- Add prefix-len to DHCPv6 IA_NA/TA Options to support environments
without routers (only used when there is no RA received)
- Mandate the requirement for RA to support any IPv6 address other than
link-local

Best Regards,

-David Miles