Interest in IPv6 Hop by Hop options

Alan Davy <adavy@tssg.org> Wed, 04 November 2009 16:40 UTC

Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2009 16:40:26 +0000
From: Alan Davy <adavy@tssg.org>
To: ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Interest in IPv6 Hop by Hop options

Hi All,

We are currently specifying an IPv6 hop by hop option which will be used
to carry node related information along a path within a network domain.
There has been previous proposals submitted to the IETF within this
area, such as IPv6 Route Record [1] and Connection/Link Status
Investigation[2]. We are aware of the reasons these proposals have been
rejected previously, being mainly related to the problems of the hop by
hop option and the operators unwillingness to share private data.

As such a technique has a variety of useful applications to management
and monitoring, we believe that a standard method of managing data entry
within an IPv6 hop by hop option along with standard data format
templates can be of great benefit to the future development of in-line
based network management and monitoring protocols. We would like to see
if there is much interest in specifying such a draft and whether anyone
would like to assist in the specification of such an Internet Draft. We
wish to constrain this solution to intra domain (such as DiffServ).

Looking forward to some discussion on this issue.

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kitamura-ipv6-record-route-00
[2] http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ipngwg-hbh-ext-csi-02

Best Regards,
--