RE: Broadband Forum liaison to IETF on IPv6 security

"Hemant Singh (shemant)" <shemant@cisco.com> Thu, 05 November 2009 22:37 UTC

Subject: RE: Broadband Forum liaison to IETF on IPv6 security
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:37:28 -0600
From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <shemant@cisco.com>
To: "Fred Baker (fred)" <fred@cisco.com>, Erik Nordmark <erik.nordmark@sun.com>, Hesham Soliman <hesham@elevatemobile.com>, JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 <jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp>, Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>, "Susan Thomson (sethomso)" <sethomso@cisco.com>, william.allen.simpson@gmail.com

Yes, in a cable deployment even if two cable modems (CM) in two different homes on the same upstream physical layer to the Cable edge router (CMTS) cannot talk directly to each other – they have to send their data to the CMTS who then forwards the data to the other modem.   Still I am not convinced of any implications for DAD in SLAAC?  Without any loss of generality, I will only refer to a CMTS for the rest of the discussion but the same is applicable to a DSLAM (or whatever L3 router sits upstream of the DLAM as the first-hop IPv6 router).  Since the CMTS sees all DAD messages from client in the downstream, if the CMTS detects a dup, the CMTS sends a NA to the client  - problem solved.   Of course, now the CMTS is doing ND Proxy which is already specified in cable standards and implemented on Docsis 3.0 IPv6 CMTS routers.  What did I miss?

If the BBF has any new multicast architecture for ND that I have not accounted for, please send me your arch doc and I can look at it and reply to that as well.

Hemant