RE: Multicast and Routing Headers//RE: Dumb question about routing headers

"Xiejingrong (Jingrong)" <xiejingrong@huawei.com> Sun, 31 May 2020 01:49 UTC

From: "Xiejingrong (Jingrong)" <xiejingrong@huawei.com>
To: Gyan Mishra <hayabusagsm@gmail.com>
CC: 6man <ipv6@ietf.org>, Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Nick Hilliard <nick@foobar.org>
Subject: RE: Multicast and Routing Headers//RE: Dumb question about routing headers
Date: Sun, 31 May 2020 01:49:02 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.45.179.120]

Hi Gyan,

Agreed with your analysis that, once the RH is used before a packet is transformed to a multicast packet on a node, the RPF may very much likely to fail on that node or the downstream nodes.
Usually the multicast RPF check based on MFIB/MRIB is a control-plane output with multicast signaling like PIM.
In the draft you mentioned, the forwarding-entry of a “BIER-specific” multicast address in MFIB will be a “pre-provisioning” output and should disable RPF.
Anyway, as the acronym “GDA” and the many text in RFC988/1112/2460 indicates, multicast address is not allowed to be “source-address” or in any type of routing-header.
That draft had been updated ever since this was clear, so please move on to the latest rev:
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-xie-bier-ipv6-encapsulation-06.txt

Very much appreciated for your comments!

Regards,
Jingrong