Re: FW: New Version Notification for draft-bonica-6man-frag-deprecate-00.txt

joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com> Tue, 25 June 2013 03:04 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:03:53 -0700
From: joel jaeggli <joelja@bogus.com>
To: Marc Lampo <marc.lampo.ietf@gmail.com>, Ronald Bonica <rbonica@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: FW: New Version Notification for draft-bonica-6man-frag-deprecate-00.txt
Cc: "ipv6@ietf.org 6man-wg" <ipv6@ietf.org>

On 6/24/13 12:19 PM, Marc Lampo wrote:
> -1
>
> Not because I'm a fan of fragmentation, but I think a layer 3 (IP)
> protocol that does not support fragmentation should really be a *new*
> IP version.
> In my opinion, the changes are too dramatic :
> if layer 3, not supporting fragmentation, is asked to sent a message,
> too big for one packet,
> it should inform layer 4 with an error message;
> while a layer 3 that supports fragmentation, can fragment and send in
> multiple packets (and return succes to layer 4).

imho in some respects this is simply closing the circle...

Intermediate hopes can't fragment in ipv6 leaving it the exclusive
domain of endpoints. if the endpoints can't simply generate large
datagrams at the ip layer then they have to fragment upper layer
datagrams somewhere else.

I agree with Fred T that this is a particular problem with tunnels
becuase the IP datagrams you're encapsulating will have to be fragmented
in some fashion, alternatively  you really have to be able to rely on
PMTUD work and frankly I'd really like to work becuase I think it's
rather sad that MTUs <= 1500  are all we can expect  to support end-to-end.