rfc4941bis: trying to keep focus

Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com> Thu, 30 January 2020 20:51 UTC

From: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>
Subject: rfc4941bis: trying to keep focus
To: "6man@ietf.org" <6man@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2020 17:50:45 -0300

Folks,

I'm trying to summarize what I've seen as part of the recent discussion
about (or at least triggered by) rfc4941bis.

First, let me give the (obvious) context:

rfc4941bis is meant, for the most part, to address flaws in RFC4941 --
RFC4941 is a Standards Track document, already. rfc4941bis is not
proposing or introducing temporary addresses, but simply addressing
flows in the scheme *we already have* (which is widely deployed).

Now, let's move to the main topics of this discussion:

1) "temporary addresses results in too many addresses"

This is not a problem araising from RFC4941, but a problem with SLAAC.
In SLAAC, routers offer network configuration information, and hosts
do... what they virtually please.

Routers could also advertise many different prefixes on the same link,
leading to many addresses. Hosts could also manually configure lots of
addresses.  An OS might also provide a proprietary interface for
proprietary apps to request "one address per flow".

Given a sufficient number of prefixes and hosts, this may get to a point
where implementation limits such as the maximum number of NCE may be hit.

If folks are concerned about the maximum number of addresses that may be
employed in a network (a valid concern), then I guess energy should be
spent on how to address this general issue of SLAAC, *in SLAAC*, as
opposed to simply bother about one of the many possible ways in which a
host may configure addresses.

I'd note that we have a BCP (RFC7934) about the topic of "number of
addresses". In the typical/default case, RFC4941 will lead to a maximum
of 7 addresses per host. In the context of RFC7934, I guess being able
to handle 7 addresses per host is the least one could expect. I do
understand that some systems can't handle them (given a sufficient
number of hosts). Maybe we need to send a signal to router vendors.
Maybe a few thousand entries in the NC is way too IPv4ish? All these
issues are worth discussing... but they are issues with SLAAC or ipv6
network configuration, and not with RFC4941.

That said, and given recent feedback, it seems sensible to reduce the
preferred lifetime and valid lifetime of temporary addresses to 1 day
and 2 days, respectively. This would result in one preferred and one
deprecated temporary addresses (as opposed to 1 preferred and 6
deprecated addresses resulting from RFC4941).

2) The value of temporary addresses

As noted above, one would assume that since RFC4941 has not been
deprecated, there is consensus that RFC4941 provides value in the area
of privacy.

Everytime you reuse an identifier, it leaks information. Temporary
addresses reduce the address lifetime, and hence limit the amount of
time you reuse an identifier. That's an improvement. And it is a
middleground between not using temporary addresses (and hence resuse the
same identifier forever) or doing "one address per flow" which, while
interesting, would take the number of addresses employed in any network
to another dimension. As such (a middle-ground), it can't be expected to
be perfect.

Temporary addresses are meant employed for outgoing connections. Maybe
RFC4941 should provide stronger hints or even recommendations that this
use mode is enforced. For connection-oriented transport protocols, the
concept is straightforward. For stateless protocols, not so much.

But even if this mode is enforced for connection-oriented transport
protocols, this would make temporary addresses reduce host exposure
quite a lot. This is another area where temporary addresses have value.

That said, I'm not sure to what extent it makes sense to argue about the
value of temporary addresses in the context of *this* document. If we
take the to extreme possible outcomes:

* we don't publish rfc4941bis, and we keep a flawed RFC4941
* we publish rfc4941bis, and have an improved version of rfc4941

Only one of these options will improve RFC4941, and none of them will
obsolete rfc4941.

3) Should temporary addresses be enabled by default?

One would assume that since RFC4941 has not been deprecated, there is
consensus that RFC4941 provides value in the area of privacy.

In that sense, and in the context of RFC7258, I believe it would be a
hard case to make to have temporary addresses disabled by default.

I do believe some network might want to disable them. That would require
the network to be able to convey this policy to hosts. This was tried
(draft-gont-6man-managing-slaac-policy) and rejected ten years ago.

I believe that, at least in the absence of policy, and in the context of
RFC7258, it is sensible for the default to be "on".

Besides, in a post-Snowden era, I believe we'd nevertheless have a hard
time recommending OS vendors to disable them by default.

Thanks!

Cheers,
--
Fernando Gont