Subject: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis-00.txt

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:41:05 +1200

Hi,

In case people aren't aware, no web browser that we know of supports
RFC6874, i.e. the extension to URI/URL syntax for a link-local
zone index in literal IPv6 addresses. This is annoying in several
use cases.

This new draft tackles what seems to be the main objection from
the browser community, namely that RFC6874 requires browsers to
remove the zone index before sending the URL out in a standard
HTTP message. That's a coding annoyance and it also breaks HTTP/1.1
rules for the "Host" header according to RFC7230.

There's background to this issue at:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=700999 (still live but
officially closed WONTFIX) and
https://github.com/whatwg/url/issues/392

The new draft proposes to update the RFC accordingly. The changes
are relatively small but significant. There's a diff between the
RFC and this draft at:
https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~brian/Diff-rfc6874-draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis-00.html

Comments welcome. If we want to go ahead with this fix, we will need to
reach out to the URI specialists and the browser community, to be sure
it isn't a waste of time.

Regards
     Brian & Bob

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis-00.txt
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2021 19:10:13 -0700
From: [email-masked]
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Representing IPv6 Zone Identifiers in Address Literals and Uniform Resource Identifiers
        Authors         : Brian Carpenter
                          Robert M. Hinden
	Filename        : draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2021-07-04

Abstract:
   This document describes how the zone identifier of an IPv6 scoped
   address, defined as <zone_id> in the IPv6 Scoped Address Architecture
   (RFC 4007), can be represented in a literal IPv6 address and in a
   Uniform Resource Identifier that includes such a literal address.  It
   updates the URI Generic Syntax specification (RFC 3986) accordingly,
   and obsoletes RFC 6874.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-carpenter-6man-rfc6874bis-00.html

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt