Re: question regarding draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484-revise-02 section 2.3

Arifumi Matsumoto <arifumi@nttv6.net> Tue, 29 March 2011 15:14 UTC

From: Arifumi Matsumoto <arifumi@nttv6.net>
Subject: Re: question regarding draft-ietf-6man-rfc3484-revise-02 section 2.3
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 00:15:03 +0900
To: Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike@swm.pp.se>
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org

Hi, Mikael, Hemant,

I think Mikael's concern is fair and it should be addressed clearer in this document.

I agree that this rule is applicable when
- SLAAC is used for address assignment.
, or
- DHCPv6 server/relay is used for address assignment and it's on the router sending RA.

Also, I understand DHCPv6 client is often in userland, so it's not trivial to implement it.

So, the description of this rule should be like:

If the implementation can know and manage the coupling of a next-hop and a prefix
delegated from it, then the corresponding prefix should be chosen as the source address.
For example, in SLAAC case, ... (the description of how the coupling is acquired and used)

Regarding whether this new rule should be included in 3484bis,
I know some rules in RFC 3484 is implementation dependent.
For example,  the destination address selection rule 1: "avoid unusable destinations"
is implemented in several ways.
So, I do not think implementation dependent rule is always bad.
The point should be how much benefits we see in this proposed rule.

Best regards,