Re: 4941bis and multicast & QOS

Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com> Sat, 15 February 2020 18:10 UTC

Subject: Re: 4941bis and multicast & QOS
To: Gyan Mishra <hayabusagsm@gmail.com>, "Manfredi (US), Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@boeing.com>
Cc: 6MAN <6man@ietf.org>
From: Fernando Gont <fgont@si6networks.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 14:20:35 -0300

On 13/2/20 21:52, Gyan Mishra wrote:

> Sorry Bert I missed your reply - responding now
>
> On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 3:36 PM Manfredi (US), Albert E
> <albert.e.manfredi@boeing.com <mailto:albert.e.manfredi@boeing.com>> wrote:
>
>     From: ipv6 <ipv6-bounces@ietf.org <mailto:ipv6-bounces@ietf.org>> On
>     Behalf Of Gyan Mishra
>
>      > How would multicast ASM or SSM work with the privacy extension
>     temporary address enabled.  With the privacy temporary address
>     enabled the IGMP Join would go out the temporary addresses, just as
>     would normal unicast traffic.
>
>     That's a good question, although only SSM would be a problem. In
>     ASM, the IGMP/MLD join reports always go to the group multicast
>     address anyway, and presumably, that won’t change. The unique source
>     address of the client joining, or of the multicast source, should
>     not matter. When responding to a new IGMP query, a new source
>     address could be used in the report, still indicating to the router
>     that membership exists. I would think, no problem.
>

>     You make a good point as to where the problem may fall.  So with ASM
> model the receiver is not source aware and so sends a IGMP join via
> temporary address RPF interface for outgoing “client like” unicast
> connections.  The LHR DR on the subnet creates MRIB state and forwards
> *,G shared tree join along RPF path to the Anycast RP /MSDP - which has
> active SA cache entry for the Source within the multicast routing
> domain.  The LHR now learns the SA for the group and initiates SPT
> switchover to the SPT tree and builds a tree directly to the source.
>
> With SSM the receiver is source aware via MLDv2, which now has source
> field in the packet for the SSM channel - along with well know default
> SSM group 232/8 - receiver is able to send via temporary address S,G
> join and to its LHR DR router on the subnet - which now builds SPT tree
> directly to the source.
>
> So this all works well in a client / server multicast model with pim
> sparse-mode where the clients are receiver only and the server is source
> only.
>
> In a peer2peer multicast model where the source acts as both receiver
> and source and the receiver acts as both receiver and source is the
> “bi-dir PIM” model -  this is the MPLS MVPN world translates into MP2MP
> LMDT instantiated via mLDP.
>
> Multicast is predominately used in enterprises.  The internet MBONE
> never really took off due to multicast use of UDP RTP  transport for
> streaming and thus a requirement for end to end QOS for reliability.
>
> So in the enterprise bi-dir pim model application requiring peer2peer
> multicast is the only scenario where you would run into issues with the
> privacy temporary address changing and becoming invalid resulting in
> session reset.  The app based source discovery would have to trigger
> changing of SSM channel when the source becomes invalid so the session
> would not reset.
>
> I think for this peer2peer model to work you really need a stable
> [...]

rfc4941bis doesn't remove the stable address. It removes the
*requirement* to configure one. Based on a number of factors (OS type,
applications, type of network you're attaching to) an OS may want to do
temp-only, or stable-temporary.

I would except that, by default, nodes do stable+temporary, and only
resort to temp-only when they know better.

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
SI6 Networks