Warren Kumari's No Objection on draft-ietf-6man-ra-pref64-08: (with COMMENT)

Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Tue, 17 December 2019 16:16 UTC

From: Warren Kumari via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-6man-ra-pref64@ietf.org, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com>, 6man-chairs@ietf.org, bob.hinden@gmail.com, ipv6@ietf.org
Subject: Warren Kumari's No Objection on draft-ietf-6man-ra-pref64-08: (with COMMENT)
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 08:16:29 -0800

Warren Kumari has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6man-ra-pref64-08: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-ra-pref64/

COMMENT:

Like Alexey, I found the Scaled Lifetime section tricky / overly complex - I'm
not actually quire sure why the value needs to be scaled by 8 -- the field is
13 bits, which gives ( I think!) a maximum value of 8192. If this were not
scaled, it would be 136 minutes (8192/60), or ~2 1/4 hours -- I might be
missing something, but surely if you haven't gotten an RA in much less than
that, you have some larger set of issues? I think that the complexity would be
an easier pill to swallow if there was some justification for the complexity
provided.

If the text is reworded, I *think* it might make sense to break the explanation
out of the main part of the "Option Format" bit, and do something like: "Scaled
Lifetime: 13-bit unsigned integer, see Section 5.1" and then put the
explanation text in Sec 5.1 - having it in this location makes the text feel
"squished" and leads to an attempt to be overly terse.