RE: 6MAN WG Last Call:draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-00.txt

"Wes Beebee (wbeebee)" <wbeebee@cisco.com> Thu, 29 October 2009 13:23 UTC

Subject: RE: 6MAN WG Last Call:draft-ietf-6man-ipv6-subnet-model-00.txt
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:24:02 -0400
From: "Wes Beebee (wbeebee)" <wbeebee@cisco.com>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>, Brian Haberman <brian@innovationslab.net>
Cc: ipv6@ietf.org, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com>

> Supported.

Thanks!

> Two comments, however.

> 1. An Updates: 4861 header is required

Agreed!

> 2. Why does it contain the "pre-5378" disclaimer ("This document may
contain material...")?

> If the only issue is that material conributed by Thomas Narten is
included, Thomas could give
> us the OK to use standard boilerplate without the annoying disclaimer.

> Regards
>   Brian Carpenter

To be on the safe side, to clear our employers from potential liability,
we would probably need to get everyone on the contributor and
acknowledgement list (or, more importantly, their employers at the time
of contribution) to agree with the new terms of 5378 in writing before
we could get rid of the pre-5378 disclaimer.

8.  Contributors

   Thomas Narten contributed significant text and provided substantial
   guidance to the production of this document.

9.  Acknowledgements

   Thanks (in alphabetical order) to Adeel Ahmed, Jari Arkko, Ralph
   Droms, Alun Evans, Dave Forster, Prashanth Krishnamurthy, Suresh
   Krishnan, Josh Littlefield, Bert Manfredi, David Miles, Madhu Sudan,
   Jinmei Tatuya, Dave Thaler, Bernie Volz, and Vlad Yasevich for their
   consistent input, ideas and review during the production of this
   document.  The security problem related to an NS message that
   provides one reason for invalidating a part of the on-link definition
   was found by David Miles.  Jinmei Tatuya found the security problem
   to also exist with an RS message.
-

If we really want to get rid of the pre-5378 disclaimer, the authors can
make an attempt to get all of the appropriate rights from all of the
people above to give to the Trustees.  Fortunately, many of these people

were employed by Cisco at the time this work was done.  Do you remember
where
the website of employer/author waivers of 5378 is located?  That would
give
us a good head start...

- Wes