答复: RE: RE: about security level evaluation of draft-zhou-6man-mhash-cga-00

zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn Mon, 09 April 2012 05:30 UTC

To: Christian Huitema <huitema@microsoft.com>
Subject: 答复: RE: RE: about security level evaluation of draft-zhou-6man-mhash-cga-00
From: zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2012 13:29:49 +0800
Cc: "ipv6@ietf.org" <ipv6@ietf.org>

Hi,Huitema,

Regards~~~

-Sujing Zhou

Christian Huitema <huitema@microsoft.com> 写于 2012-03-29 08:23:38:

> Sujin,
>
> Your statement  “after attacker has cracked a CGA address, then it
> is in the same stand as the defender” is incorrect. The attacker

Thank your for pointing out one of my omission that failing to recall the
same value "modifier" is used in both HASH1 and HASH2.

> will not need 65536 additional trials; he will need to find a
> matching CGA address 65536 times, and each trial is just as complex
> as finding a matching CGA address. The defender on the other hand
> can pick any CGA address he wants, so he has to perform just 65536
trials.

You may have a misundertand about my words.
By "cracked a CGA address", I mean the attacker has obtained another pair
of public key and private key of his own, and has managed to
find a suitable "modifer " so that the computated CGA address equals the
CGA address under attack.
Yes, I did not recall that the same modifier value is to be used in the
computation of HASH2, so there is little manipulation space for the
attacker to try a new modifier.

But I don't agree with you in  "each trial is just as complex as finding a
matching CGA address."
suppose we define a new hash algorithm:
H'(modifier,public key, extension fields, subnet-prefix,collision count)
=HASH2(modifier,0,public key,extension
fields)||HASH1(modifer,subnet-prefix,collision-count, public key,
extension fields)
Is this new hash algorithm much much more secure than any one of its
components?
If it is ,then we have found a good design method of hash algorithm.

As pointed out  by Tim Polk(?) when introducing SHA-3 progress at SAAG
meeting this time, it is better to be algorithm agile before it is too
late,
too much replace cost will be required.

So, I suggest the earlier the problem resolved, the better.