Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-07: (with COMMENT)

Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Fri, 06 March 2020 11:57 UTC

From: Éric Vyncke via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits@ietf.org, 6man-chairs@ietf.org, ipv6@ietf.org, Bob Hinden <bob.hinden@gmail.com>, bob.hinden@gmail.com
Subject: Éric Vyncke's No Objection on draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-07: (with COMMENT)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2020 03:57:26 -0800

Éric Vyncke has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits-07: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-icmp-limits/

COMMENT:

Tom,

Thank you for the work put into this document. It is short and easy to read
while addressing a real problem in real deployments.

********************
*  I was about to add a DISCUSS for not using the right BCP14 RFC 8174 template
but please FIX this *       (as this is the first review, I would suggest to
issue today a revised I-D with just this fix *       before other IESG
reviews). * *  I was also about to ballot a DISCUSS on the comment in section
2.4...
*******************

Please find below some non-blocking COMMENTs and NITs. An answer will be
appreciated.

I hope that this helps to improve the document,

Regards,

-éric

== COMMENTS ==

-- Section 1.2 --
Just wondering why the "aggregate header limits" has a section on its own. Feel
free to keep it like it is but this looks weird.

-- Section 2 --
Strongly suggest to use TBA1, TBA2, ... in order to avoid mistakes done by the
IANA.

-- Section 2.2 --
Why not using a new code for 'unrecognized header' by intermediate node ? I
really wonder why: it can only be confusing to existing implementation.

Please also ensure what is meant by 'destination' here... I would prefer to
avoid discussions when a routing-header is used (too many discussions around
this in 6MAN already)

-- Section 2.4 --
How can the original source distinguish among the two potential causes ? Why
not using two code points? Or am I missing something obvious? I was really
about to issue a blocking DISCUSS on this one.

-- Section 3 --
Some justifications on why using a different ICMPv6 format would really help
the reader.

-- Section 4.1 --
The wording "1) Real error (existing codes)" looks weird because the code
points in this documents will also be existing. Why not using "1) RFC 4443
error codes" ?

-- Section 5.2 --
Is applicable to RFC 4443 in general, so, I wonder why it is in this document.

== NITS ==

-- Section 1.1 --
If I was picky, then I would argue that "Extension Headers are placed between
the IPv6 header and the Upper-Layer Header in a packet" is not always true: if
Next-Header is 59 (No Next Header per RFC 8200 section 4.7) ;-)

-- Section 2.1 + 3.1--
s/IPv6 Fields:/IPv6 Header Fields:/